No pay for lunchbreak?

swgirl

I work a three day week and am paid for twenty one hours, my job share colleague works two and a half days and she is paid twenty hours a week, she works 9.00 to 530 and 9.00 to 1.00pm on third day, I do 9.00 to 5pm three days a week, sometimes take full hour for lunch, sometimes eat at desk and answer phone etc, colleague the same, other staff members take a lunch break, all management. All other staff in company are paid for their lunchbreak due to nature of business. A colleague of mine reckons that I should be paid twenty fours a week as all other employees are paid for breaks. No copy of original contract!

Any advice appreciated

swgirl

Once you work over a specific number of consecutive hours (5.5 hours, I think) you must take a break of at least half an hour. You are not entitled to be paid for this half hour. The fact that you remain at your desk and answer phones etc has nothing to do with anything, unless you are forced to remain there during your lunch break.

Nurses and other paramedical / care staff are paid for their breaks, that is their meal and break times are part of their working day. AFAIK these are the only jobs that have this proviso.

Nurses and other paramedical / care staff are paid for their breaks, that is their meal and break times are part of their working day. AFAIK these are the only jobs that have this proviso.

I have to disagree with you Mathepac, in public hospitals Nurses are not paid for their lunch-break. Neither are Health Care Assistants or Attendants. In fact, I don't know of any grade which gets paid for lunch time.

Thanks all,all other staff (who all work unsocial hours) are paid for breaks,I started out working these hours until I moved to admin,the company are trying to introduce unpaid breaks now

I get one 15 minute paid break during the day and my main break is unpaid. I thought that was standard practice!

Back