"No jobs mantra suits the work-shy and welfare abuser"

And in the Netherlands you get only get paid unemployment benefit one month for every year you have worked to a maximum of three years and two months, so ten years working gives you ten months benefit. You have to compare like with like.

Okay let's do the math.

I've been 20 years working, both employed on contract and self-employed.

This would offer three years and two months on the dole on over €500 a week.

In Ireland I would only be entitled to €360-odd maximum - huge difference when you're watching pennies.

I'm making two points here where I believe the thread title may be seen as unfairly casting aspersions -

- for people who want to work the dole in Ireland isn't that great

- don't assume everyone on the dole is work-shy or a welfare abuser.

You would be entitled to 20 months of 500 a week compared to a payment to age 64 of 350 odd. It's a much better system to encourage people back to work. Of course for those on minimum wage it would be less than 250 a week.

A social welfare system linked to previous earnings for the first few months makes much more sense, then revert to a fiat and much lower payment. You pay your social insurance contributions based on your full salary but then end up with a fiat payment.

My husband lost his job and income dropped from over 1,000 a week net to 188 a week. That's a big adjustment to make. Luckily we are ok on my salary. It's only been 6 weeks so far and hopefully he will get a new job soon, but it will probably be abroad and in that case I will move too so thats another 40k per annum from tax intake the government will lose.

It's very simple. People like Don 08's husband and ONQ should be taken care of so that they can live reasonably well while they seek employment. However those who never paid tax or very litle tax and consistently remain unemployed should be struck off after a period of time.

In 2006 we had 150000 people on the live register! Now some of those would have been partime workers and so on but we all know who the vast majority are. They exist in every town and village up and down the country. They need a serious kick upthe backside and need to be shocked into work!

(nods)

Three are huge adjustments to make, Don08, and unlike the habitual receiver of dole, there is no vast reservoir of knowledge in the professional community about how to go about applying for state assistance.
Brendan has done his bit to redress that on AAM and hats off to him, but there are many in the professions whose family background and earning history would not have prepared them for this pass.

MABS has provided good advice to many people in the past three years and the Community Welfare Officer is a fund of useful information. I pass that one for what its worth.
Also there are website like Bluebrick.ie and Springboard for further education, recognition of prior learning and acquiring transferrable skills although check the entry requirements

It's very simple. People like Don 08's husband and ONQ should be taken care of so that they can live reasonably well while they seek employment. However those who never paid tax or very litle tax and consistently remain unemployed should be struck off after a period of time.

In 2006 we had 150000 people on the live register! Now some of those would have been partime workers and so on but we all know who the vast majority are. They exist in every town and village up and down the country. They need a serious kick upthe backside and need to be shocked into work!

Thank you for your kind words, but I like many other recovering workaholic professionals don't want welfare, we want jobs and we want to be paid a fair amount for the work we do. :)

Unfortunately we have to face the reality of the moment, that potential clients have little money and we have to get through this somehow.

Thank you for your kind words, but I like many other recovering workaholic professionals don't want welfare, we want jobs and we want to be paid a fair amount for the work we do. :)

Unfortunately we have to face the reality of the moment, that potential clients have little money and we have to get through this somehow.

I have huge sympathy for people in your position. It is very important to be clear in how we target welfare reform. It does seem clear that the system we have doesn't work and there are better and fairer systems already in place in other European countries.

Couldn't agree more. But you also need to survive while seeking employment and I believe you should be assisted as generously as possible by the state in this interim period and those who refuse to work should be struck off the dole. And yes we need to do more to get people back to work but that's a whole other issue.

I think that people need to be encouraged to earn to pay back debts and to upskill.

Leave the dole as a leg up - convert to a back to work scheme - but allow additional work to be done and tax the total, thus supporting people who need support, but who want to work and upskill.

Seems obvious to me, but the social welfare don't seem to want to understand how to get people moving out of the unemployment ghetto.

Back