No entitlements while sick and out of work

VioletWex

Lads,

I was in Social Welfare yesterday to apply for injury benefit. I was told that I am not entitled for anything,because I don't have enough PRSI paid in 2013/14 .
They send me to HSE, but they told me exactly the same thing.
I am working for the last 9 months with no break, before that I was in college for 2 years and before college I worked for 2 years in different company. I never was on any kind of illness benefit or anything similar and yet, when I have a really bad injury (ankle injury) I was told that I can't get any support?
Can you advice me what to do in this situation? I have no idea where to go or what to do. I have another week off and to be honest, don't know how many weeks I won't be able to work :(

Firstly, the HSE no longer deal with income support. All income support is now dealt with by DSP (Social Welfare).

Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA) is means-tested, and not based on PRSI contributions. If you are not eligible for Illness Benefit (not injury benefit, which is a different scheme, for persons injured at work), you can apply if you meet the qualifying conditions. The income of your spouse/partner (if applicable) is taken into account, and if that person is working 30 hrs or more per week, you are not eligible regardless of the income.

Are you unemployed or just off sick from work? You asked about Jobseeker Benefit in another thread? Did you get a medical cert from the GP to apply for illness benefit?

The PRSI requirements for illness benefit can be found here: http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/345_Illness-Benefit.aspx

I am just off sick from work but as they told me I don't have enough PRSI paid in 2014 to get injury.
It was an accident in work but because I didn't report this straight away I can't get any money from my employer.
The company where I work is really hard to deal with :(
And yeah I have a cert from my GP.

It was an accident in work but because I didn't report this straight away I can't get any money from my employer.

That isnt necessarily the case. If it was a work-base accident arising from their negligence then you could pursue an employers liability claim.

Back