Nissan Almera Vs Renault Clio

KathScan

Which is the better deal a 2004 Nissan Almera for 11,500 or a 2005 Renault Clio (1.2) for 10,500?

you can check the review on CBg.ie/review and see what people think of hte car before making up ur mind

i think its a close call..but its quite obvious the Clio will depreciate much quicker than ALmera..and its a tiny car...

Go for the Almera. You will not have half the trouble with it than the renault clio. Once the renaults go over 60 or 70 thousand miles they tend to start playing up which can get expensive. If the Almera has a FSH through a nissan garage then definately go for that one. Any far-eastern cars are far superior in terms of engine build quality than other makes.

Totally different cars-what do you want-a family saloon/hatchback or a supermini?

Go for the Almera. You will not have half the trouble with it than the renault clio. Once the renaults go over 60 or 70 thousand miles they tend to start playing up which can get expensive. If the Almera has a FSH through a nissan garage then definately go for that one. Any far-eastern cars are far superior in terms of engine build quality than other makes.

Not true of the clio - clio is regarded as being quiet solid, the phase II luguna & meganes have given renault a bad rep. The clio never suffered from the gremlins that these two suffered from.

The two cars are not in the same class - like comparing tennis balls and golf balls!

i say 1.2 clio would be around 46 mpg and Almera wopuld be 40mpg providing its a 1.4? (the car also come with 1.6)

You would probably get a primera 3 years old for similiar money to Almera.

People ten to stay away from the bigger cars.

Hi, I've been driving a 1.4 99 Almera hatchback for the past 3 years (almost 80k miles) and I'd certainly recommend it as a reliable car. On longer journeys I would get maybe 40 mpg, as previous posters have mentioned, but it's less efficient for town/city driving as you'd expect.

I've also had experience with Clios - my dad owned one, as did my driving instructor - and I wasn't impressed. They're small and I found the clutch was a bit stiff and the gearbox awkward.

I'd advise you to test drive both before deciding.

Totally different cars-what do you want-a family saloon/hatchback or a supermini?
So far the decision seems to be based on the cost of the car and not on the needs of the user(s).

I'd highly suggest deciding on what you will/need to use the car for before deciding on a list of cars.
Simple things like...
Two or four doors required?
Max engine size? (Min engine size?)
[both of these may have required answers due to insurance issues - if a young/new driver for example they may not insure a two door, or anything over 1.8l]
Size? (Saloon, Hatch, Supermini etc.)
Budget? (how much do you want to spend, how much can you spend if needed)
Age? (do you want a car that isn't 10 years old? What age would you accept?)

etc.

List everything that's important to you and then start picking the individual cars. The only thing I can see which puts an Almera and a Clio in the same list is price.

So far the decision seems to be based on the cost of the car and not on the needs of the user(s).

The only thing I can see which puts an Almera and a Clio in the same list is price.

I would like ....

Minimum Engine size 1.2 (as in Clio) Maximum 1.5 (as in Almera 1.4).
Hatch Back (both cars)
Maximum price 11,500
Preferably a car no older than 3 years (Clio 2 years old, Almera 3 years old)

I was trying to take into consideration
  • Reliability
  • Cost of parts for either make if something should go wrong.
  • How many miles to the gallon to expect.
  • Are the prices quoted a good price for these cars.
Thanks to everyone that gave me answers to the above.

Just bought my almera today, lovely 3 door red hatch sport version.

nice inside and out, full nissan history, lovely drive home in it, cant wait to get back to it from work.

Traded in a stilo, which contrary to popular belief isnt the complete lemmon everyone makes it out to be, e.g. i drove 37k on the clock in just 3 years and only now did i get an engine problem.

Its prob spark plugs, but as i decided to change it, i didnt bother getting it fixed.

For your moneysworth... you can buy a 03 Stilo for about 9K.

On which to choose, supermini or hatch, having gone from a punto (fiats clio) to the Stilo (fiats almera) if i was you, i would skip the super mini and go with the almera.

Even if your basing it on size, there were usually only 2 of us in the car and it sometimes got cramped in the punto but even though the stilo was a 3 door the extra space (boot inlcuded, its massive) meant that road trips were more fun and comfortable :)

Best of luck. From a new almera owner, take the nissan!!!!!

This used car survey rates the Almera third in the small family class. The Clio would be considered a different class so difficult to compare on a like-for-like basis. If some extra space is important to you, I'd recommend the Almera over the Clio.

Don't but the almeria anyway. My mother has one and its an awful car. Uncomfortable, especially in the back where you can feel every bump. Overcomplicated radio/heater, and terrible build quality - on my mothers anyway. The drivers side rear door lock broke after 12 months. the passenger door came loose shortly afterwards. The previous model almerias were a much better car. Why not buy a corrola, or something similar?

Back