nice artificial topiary trees for either side of front door

deedee80

Hi all,

Im looking to buy two nice eucalyptis (the twisty one) topiary trees for either side of my front door. I'm looking for realistic looking ones so will spend a few quid. Argos sell some but reviews on great. Can anyone recommend some?

TIA

You need to go to a good local florist and get your spiral trees there.

I know the taller they are the more expensive they are but if you buy trees at 3/4 ft high you can put them into tall modern pots and they will look lovely . you also need to fill the pots containing the trees with cement so they are not top heavy otherwise they will just blow over in the wind.

I wouldnt advise cement as permanent, ud never be able change.reuse again. Id personally go for real and mind them, iv lovely ones everygreen that have red berries, have seen kilmarnock willow also being used..fab.

But some garden centres do great ones., adverts.donedeal often hav them for sale....many a wedding selling them off after the big day.

Don't waste your money.....buy real ones. The artificial ones, no matter how expensive they are, tend to adopt a blue tinge and discolour after a while ;)

I bought "real " Spiral trees and I thought they were expensive . I had them for a year and One night of severe frost killed one .
I got a pair of very realistic spiral trees from my local florist they were more expensive and they have a special coating to prevent them from fading. I did cement them into the pots as nothing else we tried stood up to the gales . yes its permanent but thats exactly what I wanted.

Thanks all. I know I would prob kill the real ones. Not sure how good I would be at keeping the shape. I never thought of a florist. Dont suppose your florist is in Dublin tech3?

No I didnt buy them in dublin !
google florists in dublin and ring around for prices . Enquire about the protective coating .
I saw some trees in the floristry warehouse online . [broken link removed] ( no connection to me or family )
however I dont see spiral trees on there , if you phone they may have them .
Good luck .

Plastic is plastic and fake is fake.
Buy a real topiary bush or tree and learn how to look after it.Its not that hard to do.

Ilex Nellie Steven aka Hollyball trees are what you want,especially for their lovely white flowers in summer and then festive red berries at this time of year.We have 2 large hollyball trees on each side of our front door.They cost over 200 euro each from Howth Garden Centre,due to their large size and training time to grow to that size and shape.The trunks themselves are 4 feet tall and then the actual hollyballs themselves are 2 feet in diameter.So 6 feet in total height.In other words,they are big.
They are very hardy and tolerant of shaded,cold and damp conditions too.They also look wonderfull with year round dark glossy evergreen leaves.
As with any topiary tree or bush you need to look after it and give it good drainage and a regular feed too_Over watering is worse than underwatering so bear that in mind.Also you need to increase the pot size as the topiary shrub grows and the roots expand.Rootballing can also kill off a topiary shrub.Also check the rootball for vine weevils or vine weevil grubs.If you find any then remove them and squash them dead,and also feed the rootball and soil with a vine weevil liquid feed that will help to kill off any remaining weevils.Vine weevils eat through the root system of a plant,so no roots means no plant.

Our hollyball trees are self pollinating so no need for a male and female tree,they are allowed to grow bigger and out of shape in the summer months so that they flower,and then we clip them back a bit with a topiary shears in the wintertime to reveal the festive red berries that grow from the white flowers.We give them a liquid feed 3 times a year mainly in spring and summer months.

John Innes No3 soil mixed with some farmyard manure is great for topiary trees and bushes that will be placed into large pots.Also mix in some grit and some slow release plant food and you will be onto a winner.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127582733@N07/15873031680/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127582733@N07/15874229579/

Large Yew Topiary Cones would also look well,but these are also expensive as Yew takes a long time to grow and also to shape into a large cone too.

Yew is fantastic,its evergreen and it really makes a focal piece either side of a house front door.

And a danger for children. Poison.

Lock the kids up then and never take them anywhere outside your house so.Dont even let them near a woodland,stately home or the countryside for that matter either.

Our large hollyball trees are now full of festive red berries.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127582733@N07/16037601836/

Our Yew cones trimmed back a little to a keep a nice cone shape.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127582733@N07/15877310199/

The large Ilex Nellie Stevens came from Howth Garden Centre and the large Yew Cones came from Tully Nurseries in Dublin.

Back