NIB changing terms & conditions

dobbins

Hi. I have a mortgage account with NIB. When I log in to their online facility I am told that they are proposing to change the terms and conditions on my account and am given a few links to new terms and conditions and an option to accept them. I cannot access the online banking facilities without accepting the new terms and conditions.

I haven't contacted NIB yet about this but I would be interested in getting feedback here. Can they block me from their online facility like this? I am more than happy with the terms and conditions we agreed when I first took out the mortgage - what if I don't want to change?

Also, I had a look at the new terms and conditions. I don't like the look of the following - any opinions on this? I have a tracker rate which is quite good compared to some of the rates available at present and do not wish to change from this. Some sections highlighted in bold by me.

Thanks.

6. Variation
6.1 We may at any time, for any reason set in Clause 6.5 below: (a) add to the number of products and benefits which we offer to you; (b) remove or change or impose restrictions on the number of and/or nature of products and benefits which we offer to you; (c) introduce a fee or charge applicable to an Arrangement and/or products and benefits comprised in that Arrangement from time to time and/or vary the amount, frequency or time for payment of such fees or charges; (d) make any change to the Agreement; (e) make any change to a Mandate; (f) vary the interest rate or exchange rate applicable to a product or service; (g) without prejudice to the foregoing, in the case of our Direct Banking services 24/7 Telephone Banking or eBanking, add to, remove, change or impose restrictions on their functionality; or (h) vary our Terms and Conditions.
6.2 We may introduce additional products and benefits in accordance with Clause 6.1 (a) without notice to you.
6.3 If we vary a rate in accordance with Clause 6.1 (f) and
(i) the change to the interest rate or exchange rate is beneficial to you, then the change will be effective without prior notice to you; or
(ii) the change is due to a change in an agreed reference rate which we have advised you is tracked by the interest rate or exchange rate, then the change will be effective without notice to you however after any such change to an interest rate, we will inform you of the change at the earliest opportunity in writing, by advertisement in the press, by notice in any of our branches, by our website, by email or any other reasonable means we may select.
6.4 Save as set out in Clauses 6.2 and 6.3, we will always give you notice in writing in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations before making a change described in Clause 6.1 and any changes will be effective on the expiry of the notice period. If you (or, if appropriate, any Nominated User), do not notify us within the notice period and continue to use our services after notification of any of the changes set out in Clause 6.1, it means that you (and, where appropriate, such Nominated User) will be deemed to have agreed to the change. Any notice we provide of proposed changes in accordance with this clause may, if stated in the notice, serve as notice of termination to you in accordance with Clause 4.1 if you notify us within that period that you do not accept the proposed changes.
6.5 The changes referred to in Clause 6.1 above will be made for one of the following reasons: (a) by agreement with you; (b) to reflect the introduction or development of new systems, methods of operation, services or facilities; (c) to maintain or improve operating conditions or service levels; (d) to reflect a change or an expected change in market conditions, general banking practice or the cost to us of providing services to our customers; (e) to conform with or anticipate any changes in the law or taxation, or codes of practice or recommendations of the Financial Regulator or other regulatory body; (f) to ensure our business is run prudently and remains competitive; (g) to take account of a ruling by a court, ombudsman, regulator or similar body; (h) to make the Agreement fairer or clearer for you; (i) to enable us to harmonise our banking, interest (debit or credit) or other charging arrangements; (j) to rectify any mistake that might be discovered in due course; (k) to add to, remove, change or impose restrictions on the functionality of our Direct Banking services 24/7 Telephone Banking or eBanking ; (l) to amend/update our Website from time to time (this may mean that at any one time a stored or retained copy of any of the pages or the Terms and Conditions may be out of date); (m) to withdraw our Direct Banking services 24/7

I was in the same boat as you. I have a tracker with them too. But I needed access to my account so I accepted the new terms and conditions.
In clause 6.5 it says 'that changes in 6.1 will be made by agreement with you', I believe that you/we would have to further agree to the changes.

I was in the same boat as you. I have a tracker with them too. But I needed access to my account so I accepted the new terms and conditions.
In clause 6.5 it says 'that changes in 6.1 will be made by agreement with you', I believe that you/we would have to further agree to the changes.

unfortunately not ted.

6.5 : The changes referred to in Clause 6.1 above will be made for one of the following reasons...

Thanks Norfbank.

I needed access to the account so what was the alternative to agreeing terms and conditions.

My point is they can't lock you out of your account because you don't agree to the new terms and conditions. They signed off on the existing terms and conditions, as did you, and they are bound to honour them, as are you, unless both parties agree to change them.

Access to your online account shouldn't come in to it.

I've rang them anyway and someone's to get back to me so I'll see what they say.

I brought this issue up here last year:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=144264

I think this heavy handed approach by NIB is very wrong and an appalling way to treat customers, you log in to be told read these 20+ pages of small print, sign that you agree to them, if you don’t sign we are not letting you have access to your money, your eBanking is blocked.

I didn’t sign as I too had concerns, and was locked out of eBanking. I complained to my branch last October, which passed it on to head office, which acknowledged my complaint and gave a response about 4 weeks later.

I tried eBanking a few times, 10 days or so after been blocked it just let me in again. My phone banking was never blocked.

Their response made no reference to my main complaint that they refused me online access to my funds unless I signed. Their main points were;

Please accept our apologies that this occurred, it was not our intention that customers would be asked to accept the full range of terms and conditions in this manner.

We were making small changes to our terms and conditions, it was merely our intention to draw your attention to the changes.

Unfortunately the log in screens did not reflect our intended approach. Following feedback from customers the screens were modified as soon as practicable after the matter was raised.

I hope you have now had an opportunity to read the new terms and conditions and they are acceptable, if not you can terminate your agreement at any time.

Yours etc.

A few weeks ago, this message again appeared while logging in, sign electronically that you accept or you cannot access your accounts. Obviously in light of this and your recent experience, most of the above response is a load of bull.

With NIB's written reply confirming they were only making small changes, I am sure the Ombudsman would agree any effort to remove my tracker rate as a result of these new terms and conditions would constitute substantially more than a small change. I signed.

I have a joint mortgage with my wife. I have accepted the terms as I need access to the on-line accounts as the local branch have moved and no longer handle cash transactions.

My wife has not accepted and as we are both parties to the mortgage and it is a joint mortgage if she does not accept the new terms and conditions then surely they don't apply to the mortgage.

THe link to the current terms and conditions has been removed from the ebanking part of the site.

They are posting me out a hard copy.

I have asked for the procedure to revoke the permission as I needed to give it at the time as I needed to access my funds.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=104951

See this thread, which started out as a letter from the bank where they hid the true meaning of a letter sent to customers.

Getting to the stage that I can't trust them anymore.

Hi
I have a mortgage account with NIB as well. I didn't like what I read in the terms and conditions and would prefer if terms and conditions stayed as they were.
I only use NIB online to see what my mortgage details are. I transfer money to their bank account once a month to pay the mortgage. I'm thinking of not accepting the terms and conditions and just continuing to transfer money to the NIB account every month. As long as the ECB rate doesn't change I know how much I should transfer.

Uhoh.

I accepted the T&C despite my reservations as I needed to get online. I think I will live to regret this. I have written to the bank directly asking whether acceptance allows NIB to unilaterally change tracker mortgage interest rates in cases other than ECB rate moves. Let's see what comes back.

According to [broken link removed], in the absense of us rejecting by November 1st 2010, we are deemed to have accepted. :(

I have a savings account but no mortgage with NIB. I got this message also when I logged on. Might just be general changes if everyone is getting it and not amied at just mortgages. Call and see...

the question I'd have is how much of the 20pages was actually new stuff, and not what had been in previous terms and conditions. Often what happens is that changes are made to a doc and you see the whole thing. Rabo does this kind of thing regularly, but the email gives a mention in summary of what the changes are - but the whole document is sent out so it looks like a whole bumbf of legal stuff.

It would be like being given the whole Irish Constitution ever time you were to vote on changing e.g. article 30. Overkill, but what you will find is that there is probably a legal requirement on the banks to advise customers in a particular way.

Please post again if you get any word back from NIB, chippengael (or Dobbins).

I sent the bank an email from my ebanking account, waited 2 days but no reply. Then I filled in the meeting request form and waited to be contacted on Monday at 3pm. No call. Finally just called the ebanking helpline and asked whether the new T&Cs have any impact on my mortgages. Answer was catagorically NO, these are just an update of the internet banking T&Cs. Nothing else. Of course, I don't have that on paper...but I am a bit less terrified today than I was last week.

Folks,

As I had not logged into my online account since last november!!!!, I too rang about these terms and conditions that I had to agree to to view my account details online as I was very, very scared I had inadvertantly agreed to NIB changing the terms and conditions of my tracker mortgage.

The girl on the phone assured me that the change in terms and conditons was only associated with online and phone banking. I quizzed her about the mortgage T&C and she replied that the Mortgage T&C were not in any way changed.

Hope it helps put some peoples minds at ease.......

Back