NI shopping exodus 'swings and roundabouts'

I have found Aldi and Lidl may not provide after-sales service , but they do offer refund / exchange when you produce receipt.
Like Argos, Tesco, Dunnes etc. etc. they have no choice otherwise the government would close them down instantly.
Argos would like you to think they are giving you a 16 day no quibble returns from the kindness of their heart but they aren't - they also have no choice because they are in effect breaking the consumer law - which states that they must provide after sales service.

In England where Argos have been operating for many years, most of their shops are empty because people have realised that returning stuff is costing them money in time and effort and that if you purchase your products from a small business who's staff are trained & knowledgeable in the use of the goods which they are selling and who provide proper after sales support, repairs etc. then they won't require a refund.

P.S.
Judging by the way chains have been operating i.e their life blood is DEBT, their top management suck massive sums of money out of the business in bonuses, perks etc. (they take their share holders for a ride) then there's a good possiblity that Argos mightn't be around too much longer.

P.S.
Irish Consumer law states that a business which sells a product must provide an after sales support service for that product.
But like a lot of laws in Ireland it isn't enforced.
Are you certain about this? I've never heard of this before. Do you have any source for this?

I'm in the computer business and my prices are more often cheaper than dearer than Argos plus I have an after sales service which Argos doesn't even dream about.

I had guessed by some of your earlier posts, which flew in the face of reason, that you had to have some form of vested interest.

Explain how my earlier posts fly in the face of reason.

Maybe if you studied how an economic entity works you might realise that my reasoning makes obvious sense.

Explain how my earlier posts fly in the face of reason.

Because legions of people have come on here and elsewhere and explained that, given the currency fluctuation, they have been able to go to Northern Ireland and either save money on large purchases or buy items that they would not ordinarily due to their prices being lower in Northern Ireland.

You have repeatedly insisted again and again, in spite of all this testimony, that it is more expensive to go to Northern Ireland.

Maybe if you studied how an economic entity works you might realise that my reasoning makes obvious sense.

Makes sense to a small businessman trying to differentiate his product. Might not make sense to a consumer.

My father in law will only buy from local retailers. PC, TV, DIY materials. He likes talking to someone who knows what they are talking about and can give him advice.

But consumer items are disposable these days. It used to be you'd buy a TV and get it fixed when it invariably went wrong. Nowadays, you buy a TV. If it breaks in the period of the manufacturer's warranty you send it back to them. If it breaks after that you buy a new one of a different brand.

An independent retailer can do no different for you in terms of after sales service.

1. Did you cost how much fuel you burned to get there?
2. Did you cost how much of your time (& that of those who travelled with you), you wasted getting there & back (@ the Irish Minimum Wage!)?
3. Did you cost what productive things you could have done with your time instead of sitting in a car for several hours?
4. Did you cost the wear and tear on your car to get there?

I'd place a large bet that having costed those items, you are now losing.

P.S.
There is also something which no one has spoken of - Does everyone going on these unnecessary journeys ever consider that they may be involved in a car accident resulting in Death or Serious Injury? Given the large volume of vehicles on the roads, the Risks you are taking are Enormous. And if you travel on this unnecessary journey more than once, you are increasing the Risk many times over.
So if you are unfortunate to end up Profoundly Disabled or worse DEAD, will your great saving scheme be worth it then???

Also Note
The common human condition known as the 'it won't happen to me syndrome' won't save you.

I travelled to Newry yesterday for my reguler every 4-6 weeks trip. On average, having costed in the price of diesal I saved approx €300 as I usually do. As someone who drives 40000 miles + per annum the few extra miles won't do that much to my car and as for the risk of being killed, if I worried about that, I'd never leave home. Anyway, it's a statistical fact that over a third of car crashes happen within a mile of home. I reckon that on average, I save around €4-€5k a year.

I buy electrical goods locally, mostly for the after sales service if it is needed and the ease of being able to dispose of the original goods

One amazing thing about shopping in the North is that there seems to be genuine competition on prices, I don't see that in the south. For example, one baby product was priced at the exact same price in 3 major supermarkets in Carlow and Naas for months on end, and when one retailer finally increased it, they all did

I have no arguement that Irish retailers face higher costs, eg wages, insurance and VAT. However there is no excuse for their abject and ongoing failure to implement correct exchange rates for goods.

One last point for Kingdom, and please be honest when you answer this question. If the situation was reversed, and Northern Ireland shoppers were travelling to your shop to do their shopping, would you refuse their custom on the grounds you've outlined previously????

Even for the likes of necessity cosmetics/grocery like Toothpastes etc i saved a great deal.... Sensodyne pronamel 5.85€ in tesco, where as i paid 2.45£ in newry... Aquafresh Extreme clean 3.94€ in tesco, 0.99£ in newry... these prices are not even deals but regular prices in buttercrane.... so Tesco and other supermarkets are really ripping us off here in south....

Kingdom, the kind of two posts above are what I mean by flying in the face of reason.

And your assertion about being at increased risk of death on the roads is simply ridiculous.

The main route for travel to the North is the M1. Probably the safest route in the entire country.

I see that Ikea in Dublin is due to open on July 27th.

Given that Sterling has taken another battering after its brief rally, I wonder will many people prefer to make a 2hr journey North instead.

If you compare the Ikea prices in Germany, France and UK, it would seem that it will be cheaper if you are decking a place out to go North.

My apologies if this is in the wrong 'North -Shopping' related thread but I remember reading somewhere on this forum about a man with a van who will do your shopping for a small fee.
I am having trouble finding the link for this.
Can someone please direct me to his website or to where his contact details are posted on this forum ?

There is a thread called 'shopping in newry-any advice' where this is mentioned, I dont know if there are contact details given.

I think the site was called dealhunter.ie

Thanks for that. I emailed the site and got a response today.

Does anyone know if Argos deliver to the Republic/Dublin on orders made on their UK website at UK prices ?

No, they don't. It has to be in the UK.

I got a flyer through the door for someone doing runs to the North. Man with Van type thing.

Phone Adrian on 087 7549767.

Just make sure you don't give him any money in advance.

lol just popping in here quickly lads, had my NCT today in Kells early so then I thought ... I'll drive to Enniskillen it's only down the road ...

went to ASDA. great bargains but something that really annoyed me once again and I do believe at this stage that there will never be an end to "rip off Ireland", check this out:

Green Giant soups: regular price 72p

in the Republic (Dunnes Stoes): "hal price promotion" reduced from €1.99 to €0.99

Guys, seriously, what's going on? is this ever going to stop? (I know, higher wages, higher VAT but I don't believe in a difference of over 100%)

I assume no VAT on soup, so forget about that.

Yes, higher wages and overheads means DS have to make more gross profit margin than Asda.

But, another reason is the suppliers charging much higher prices to DS than to Asda.

In the end I went to Newry and didnt use Dealhunter.ie but it seems like a fantastic service apart from reservations I might have about what would happen to the product I paid for to be delivered to their warehouse if they subsequently folded. I am aware that if I purchase a product via credit card and the company subsequently folds without delivery then I have some kind of protection yet with Dealhunter.ie I would be paying for the product to be delivered to their warehouse and then pay them separately for delivery. If they can reassure their customers who conduct business with them at arms length about what kind of protection exists then they would do a lot better !

One of the things I bought is this:

Now look for one moment at the Argos UK site and compare prices.

A saving of €299.21 !

How the hell can a Dyson DC15 Hoover cost €519.99 in Dublin yet be €220.78 in Newry which is only one and a half hours from Dublin city centre !!??!!

Back