NI shopping exodus 'swings and roundabouts'

[Originally Posted by bullworth [
How the hell can a Dyson DC15 Hoover cost €519.99 in Dublin yet be €220.78 in Newry which is only one and a half hours from Dublin city centre !!

Its worse than that. The Argos price in Ireland is €519.99 but the argos price in UK is £195.79 If you shop in Argos you support a UK retailer who is treating us like idiots.I wonder if the price is being controlled by Dyson because the price difference cannot be otherwise explained?Answer is don't buy dyson

That is but one of the many unanswered questions in life!

[Originally Posted by bullworth [
How the hell can a Dyson DC15 Hoover cost €519.99 in Dublin yet be €220.78 in Newry which is only one and a half hours from Dublin city centre !!

Its worse than that. The Argos price in Ireland is €519.99 but the argos price in UK is £195.79 If you shop in Argos you support a UK retailer who is treating us like idiots.I wonder if the price is being controlled by Dyson because the price difference cannot be otherwise explained?Answer is don't buy dyson

I wonder is there a chance that someone using this forum is working in the Irish retail business (in particular selling hoovers) who in the interests of the country could explain on this forum (and doesnt have to tell us who he is) why this particular product is selling for over twice the price in the South ?

Further to my Dyson story I think this charging more than other stores is a Argos phenomenon.

For example, at DID Electrical , a Dyson DC23 Animal Bagless Hoover is €284.95

[broken link removed]

Yet in Dublin at Argos it's €449.99

Even the Argos UK price of £293.59 sterling =315.661117 Euros is beaten by DID.

So I guess the moral is that Argos can be very expensive.

How the hell can a Dyson DC15 Hoover cost €519.99 in Dublin yet be €220.78 in Newry which is only one and a half hours from Dublin city centre !!??!!

Presumably because there are poeple prepared to pay this amount.

Indeed. A very interesting read this thread (apart from some random tangents!!)

I recently went up to IKEA (as I'm sure half the country has by now) on a Saturday, and it was amaxing, literally every car in teh car park had a republic reg! It will be interesting to see what price discrepancies will be between the two stores, as they will both be literally within a 90 minute drive of each other!

On a slightly different note, I am friends with a guy who works in TESCO over in the UK. You know those adds where they talk about how "Aldi are cheaper on 2,000 products, Tesco on 4,000" etc on any given date? Well this is all a scam, as he worked in the pricing department, and they literally reduced the price by 1p versus their competition...and hey presto...cheaper!

How much is anything worth? How much someone is willing to pay. We have been willing to pay too much in this country for too long....

I work in retail and I can state catergorically that argos & debenhams are way overpriced compared to even small independent stores here.

I have a store in Carlow and on each and every comparable product that I stock and that is available in Argos / Debenhams (about 200 products) I, as a small independent retail am on average 23% cheaper than either of them and on some products up to 37% cheaper.

- Yep I have signs up and I have a list of all the products and the prices as per 2009 catalogue & debenhams Newbridge. (just in case they complain)

Both of these stores are taking Irish consumers for fools. - I can say that many independent retailers who have moved their prices with the movements of sterling deserve support

Hi guys....Am after few baby stuffs (Incl. cloths, prams & seats) 4 my newborn, Do believe such stuffs would be way cheaper than here in the North. Does any1 knw if there is a Smyth's or Mamas & Papas kinda shops @ Newry? Would b very gr8ful! Thanks a lot.

Hi guys....Am after few baby stuffs (Incl. cloths, prams & seats) 4 my newborn, Do believe such stuffs would be way cheaper than here in the North. Does any1 knw if there is a Smyth's or Mamas & Papas kinda shops @ Newry? Would b very gr8ful! Thanks a lot.

And please don't use text speak:

3A. Please write clearly and avoid using text speakPlease take a little time to write your post carefully. Use complete sentences. Use paragraphs for longer posts. Do not use Text Speak.

Back