Newspapers' negativity on pensions

Daddy

A lot of negativity this past week on the papers. High fees and lack of transparency on fees.

Today then Shane Ross in the Indo stating that together with the above and the pending reduction in tax relief the question needs posing on whether or not pensions remain worthwhile to invest in. When you add the .6% levy which may never be removed this further makes one wonder.

In my own case been paying in for 15 years at least and running about line ball. No real returns. What annoys me is that anyone taking out a pension now will be given projections based on a 5 or 6% p.a return which is a joke.

I remember when I first started contributions been quoted on an 8% projected return and the industry has gradually come back a little but still get away with ridiculous projections.

Has anyone out there got positive experiences to share to offset the general negative feelings that abound?

The quoted figure for management charges (2.18%) was ridiculous for a start. A charge of 1-1.5% is more common.

My wife's pension charges are 2% of contributions and .75% of the fund.

My own I must research.

I must also research the allocation rates i.e for every 100 euro contributed what amount is actually invested.

Back