Newsletters from politicians - are these "junk" mail?

Ger1966

With the local council and European elections under a year away, I'm starting to see a lot more newsletters, flyers etc from political parties being dropped in my post box. These weren't addressed to me, so they must have been distributed by local party members. I have a "No Junk Mail" sticker on my post box, so whoever is distributing these either can't read or is just ignoring the sticker.

Serious question - are newsletters / flyers from political parties not classified as junk mail or are their distribution teams just ignoring the "No Junk Mail" sticker?

I don't think that there's any strict definition of "junk mail".
I'm sure that the political representatives in question would disagree that their election material is junk.
You might be better changing your sticker to something like "no unsolicited mail", "no flyers", etc.?
But, in all likelihood, some people will ignore whatever you put up.

In this electronic age you might be glad of some paper to light the fire when winter comes.
But what about the damage that that would do to the environment @Billybob ;-) The bottom half of Europe is on fire, so I don't want the same happening to Ireland!!

I'm always thankful I live in a place where politicians feel the need to beg for my vote.
Indeed.

I think we should have local and general elections every year. We don't hear about all the wonderful things that have done, and all the even better things that they're going to do, until about a year before the election. If the elections were every year, there'd be a constant flow of information from them!

Indeed.

I think we should have local and general elections every year. We don't hear about all the wonderful things that have done, and all the even better things that they're going to do, until about a year before the election. If the elections were every year, there'd be a constant flow of information from them!
Most politicians use the internet and social media these days if you want to keep tabs on them and their productivity.

I am the same.

In fact my sign says "No junk mail , no political flyers"

I chase out after the politicians who ignore it and hand them back the leaflet.

FG is the worst. Completely ignores the sign.

Brendan

I'm hot and cold regarding what I consider junk mail. Most political leaflets dropped in our letterbox indicate what grants one is entitled to regarding home improvement etc. This political literature is helpful and of course only our political representative is only a phone call or email away if you feel the need to use him/her. Much of their mail drops are informative e.g. when work on the the new road is about to begin or footpaths improved. Let's give ourselves some credit We are not stupid enough to think that this junk mail from politicians indicates that they were the ones responsible for grants and improvements. I wouldn't get tied up in knots over junk mail received - it's no big deal.

"Junk mail" is a vague term and you can bet no politician views their tracts as "junk"!

I have seen signs saying "Addressed mail only" and "No unaddressed mail" but there's no penalty for ignoring them.

This starting to happen again now. I have a No Junk Mail sign, still get lots of political flyers. I emailed SF a while back about this and they said it's not Junk. They advised having an additional sign: No Unsolicited Email. I'm going to try that now.

This starting to happen again now. I have a No Junk Mail sign, still get lots of political flyers. I emailed SF a while back about this and they said it's not Junk. They advised having an additional sign: No Unsolicited Email. I'm going to try that now.
Be careful with the next thing they send you. Make sure it's not ticking before you open it.

Junk mail is generally defined as unwanted or unsolicited advertising or promotional material, most politicians would believe their flyers are far too important to be classified as such. I once had a discussion with one who couldn't seem to comprehend that I might consider his flyer as junk mail.

Without any legislation in the area however, it's open to interpretation and there's not much you can do.

Back