Newry Traffic Chaos

So its hypocritical for public servants to avail of cheaper prices in NI, but its ok for the thousands of non-public sector workers who do it every weekend? Please. Its just a poor excuse to moan about the public sector

If the public servants are on strike to show their displeasure at how they are being treated by the Government and to have a show of strength to show how better off the private sector is, what the hell are they doing shopping or at any other place than their picket line?

I don't care about rosters or any other union talk, if you have an issue that is so important that you care enough to shut your office then you should be on the picket line.

Thought you might - I'd join you.

I'm hoping to find some novel way of showing my disapproval of strikers as it happens - not sure what I'll do. Might have a few more chances before the year is out it seems.

I'm there with you guys!

My biggest gripe today was my elderly, somewhat bewildered mammy being left without her Meals on Wheels. Fair enough, family stepped in for her but what about the many, many elderly, somewhat bewildered mammies ( and daddies, aunties, singletons etc.,etc) who don't have families and who went without that lifeline today?

I'm afraid I found myself snarling as I saw all the pickets today.

Not a pretty sight. ( Both me snarling and dem damn pickets!)

mf

Re: Strikers go xmas shopping in NI

people were wondering in some other thread if the unions can afford to pay their members if there were widespread strikes... Im sure Newry chamber of commerce might help them out

Re: Strikers go xmas shopping in NI

I don't know why the panic shopping today....don't the public sector get an allowance of a half-day to do their Xmas shopping?!

I don't care about rosters or any other union talk, if you have an issue that is so important that you care enough to shut your office then you should be on the picket line.

Are you another one of these silly right wing posters who seem to inhabit this forum?

Most of these self proclaimed captains of industry don't seem to be able to do an uninterrupted full days work (for their employer) without posting some gibberish here several times a day!

If you want to tell unions how to organize their pickets you're more than free to join one and state your case!

A week or so ago I was disgusted at the idea of public sector strikes. The country can't afford their wages, private sector people losing their jobs, etc, etc...

Then I thought about it a bit more and realised that I was directing my ire at the wrong target. These people are simply trying to protect their standard of living. They have mortgages and financial commitments etc. The real target should be the Irish Government.

We desperately need to fix the economy. We need to stop borrowing huge amounts of money to keep the country running. (The cash taps may soon be switched off anyway) Unfortunately, the Irish Government do not seem to be helping.

They are making no attempt to create jobs. All their measures seem to be fire-fighting. If rumour is true, the next budget seems to be comprised of swingeing cuts, so they can pump more of our money into failed banks.

A dire situation caused by the Government. Not caused the public sector.

Oh, and I don't think any of the opposition parties would fair any better. How depressing.

A week or so ago I was disgusted at the idea of public sector strikes. The country can't afford their wages, private sector people losing their jobs, etc, etc...

Then I thought about it a bit more and realised that I was directing my ire at the wrong target. These people are simply trying to protect their standard of living. They have mortgages and financial commitments etc. The real target should be the Irish Government.

We desperately need to fix the economy. We need to stop borrowing huge amounts of money to keep the country running. (The cash taps may soon be switched off anyway) Unfortunately, the Irish Government do not seem to be helping.

They are making no attempt to create jobs. All their measures seem to be fire-fighting. If rumour is true, the next budget seems to be comprised of swingeing cuts, so they can pump more of our money into failed banks.

A dire situation caused by the Government. Not caused the public sector.

Oh, and I don't think any of the opposition parties would fair any better. How depressing.

The government can't create jobs, not real ones that create wealth anyway. They need to do everything they can to reduce costs and reduce spending and when the country becomes price competitive again we’ll start to create jobs. Anything else it just like blowing air into a burst balloon

Then I thought about it a bit more and realised that I was directing my ire at the wrong target. These people are simply trying to protect their standard of living. They have mortgages and financial commitments etc...

Dude you are probably the most intelligent poster on this forum!

Over the last 6 to 8 months there has been a deliberate campaign by certain parts of the media to scape goat the CS/PS for the state of this country. Yes of course there are problems with the CS/PS and yes they have a role to play like all stake holders in turning this country around but I just wonder, who benefits the most when the blame gets deflected from one party to another like this?

By and large I think it has been very counter productive and the ironic thing is that I think its going to backfire. I observed zero hostility from members of the public towards picketers today! I'm sure this fact is going to disappoint some of our more right of center outraged posters here!

over the last 6 to 8 months there has been a deliberate campaign by certain parts of the media to scape goat the cs/ps for the state of this country. Yes of course there are problems with the cs/ps and yes they have a role to play like all stake holders in turning this country around but i just wonder, who benefits the most when the blame gets deflected from one party to another like this?

+1

The government can't create jobs, not real ones that create wealth anyway. They need to do everything they can to reduce costs and reduce spending and when the country becomes price competitive again we’ll start to create jobs. Anything else it just like blowing air into a burst balloon

Remind me then who was it that got sanction from the Europe Union to implement the 12.5% corporation tax!

"During the Rainbow Government of 1994-7, Minister of Finance Ruairi Quinn reduced corporation tax to 12.5% on trading income,a policy that has been continued by subsequent Ministers of Finance. This is generally believed to have been an important stimulus for the Celtic Tiger."

Remind me then who was it that got sanction from the Europe Union to implement the 12.5% corporation tax then!

"During the Rainbow Government of 1994-7, Minister of Finance Ruairi Quinn reduced corporation tax to 12.5% on trading income,a policy that has been continued by subsequent Ministers of Finance. This is generally believed to have been an important stimulus for the Celtic Tiger."

The corporation tax rate on the manufacturing sector was 10% (introduced by a Charlie Haughy government if I recall correctly). The EU found that this was illegal so the government was forced to standardise it. The 12.5% rate was agreed by Ruairi Quinn in negotiations (to phase it in) with the EU. It was Charlie McCreevy that actually introduced it.

That said I think Quinn was an excellent minister for finance. Once Buy-everyone-Bertie was in power all sound reasoning went out the window.

... I'm hoping to find some novel way of showing my disapproval of strikers as it happens - not sure what I'll do...
I was thinking of organising a picket of Newry shopping centre to shame the strikers back to work. But then I heard (on the RTE wireless news) that if the entire CS / PS stayed at home for a day the saving in wages for the Minister for Hardship would be €60m so I'm on the horns of a dilemma as to my placard slogan and the location for my protest -

"Get Back to Work Ye Lazy Unpatriotic Feckers" in Newry or

"Strike More, Shop Foreign More, Save More" outside public buildings.

What do ye think?

I was thinking of organising a picket of Newry shopping centre to shame the strikers back to work. But then I heard (on the RTE wireless news) that if the entire CS / PS stayed at home for a day the saving in wages for the Minister for Hardship would be €60m so I'm on the horns of a dilemma as to my placard slogan and the location for my protest -

"Get Back to Work Ye Lazy Unpatriotic Feckers" in Newry or

"Strike More, Shop Foreign More, Save More" outside public buildings.

What do ye think?

What do I think? I think that's a really funny post! :D

Cut income or cut numbers in public service. It's not a nice decision but there is really no alternative.

No permanent public sector employee has lost their job yet.

Borrowing 44 million per day to pay wages cannot go on indefinetly.

Since schools are closed a lot of parents are taking annual leave.
A few in our office anyway and we're not alone

Not just the strikers gone shopping
Yeah, but that won't make tabloid headlines, so it won't get the coverage. RTE's news coverage of this issue was outrageous, presenting it 'clear evidence' that the shoppers were strikers, which consisted of;
- 1 young bloke saying 'yer man is on strike'
- 1 older lady saying 'sure of course all of them would be shopping'

Vincent Brown was interviewing picketing nurses at the Mater today, most of whom were picketing on their day off, as their colleagues were inside on duty. Will that make news/tabloid headlines?

Yeah, but that won't make tabloid headlines, so it won't get the coverage. RTE's news coverage of this issue was outrageous, presenting it 'clear evidence' that the shoppers were strikers, which consisted of;
- 1 young bloke saying 'yer man is on strike'
- 1 older lady saying 'sure of course all of them would be shopping'

Vincent Brown was interviewing picketing nurses at the Mater today, most of whom were picketing on their day off, as their colleagues were inside on duty. Will that make news/tabloid headlines?

What is understood doesn't have to be discussed. ;)

Back