Newgrange

O

Obbler

I am heading up to the Louth area at the weekend and would like to visit Newgrange, and Tara. Has any of the members been there and is it worth my while.

I haven't been to Tara but I have been to Newgrange a number of times. For historic reasons alone I think it is worth a visit.
First you go to the visitor centre where there are exhibits explaining life in the Boyne valley through the ages. Of course there's explanations of the Newgrange site itself, details of how the mound was constructed and the possible uses it was put to over the centuries. There's also an audio visual show in several European languages.
To visit the Newgrange site itself, you must make a short walk through the grounds and across the Boyne to board a bus which will take you there and back. You can't go straight to the site yourself. You can buy tickets at the counter in the visitor centre giving you an alloted time to depart.
There are a number of combinations of trips available, including the other sites at Knowth and Dowth. If you're travelling early in the year, there shouldn't be that much of a wait but even so, my advice is to go to the centre as early as possible in the day, especially if at the weekend, and book your bus trip as soon as you arrive. You never know, there could be a large group ahead of you on the day.
Numbers entering Newgrange itself is strictly limited and always accompanied by a helpful and informative guide. Going into the passageway isn't recommended for the claustrophobic or generously proportioned. The interior is surprisingly small. When everyone is inside the sunrise on the shortest day is simulated.
Back at the centre, there is a functional restaurant serving light meals, sandwiches, etc and there are some excellent views across the valley.
I reckon a visit will take approx 1.5 to 2 hours.
I hope you enjoy your visit and that if you go to Tara, you'll share your impressions with us. Travel safely.

Simulated sunrise, when did they start doing that? Don't remember that from my last visit, which was some time ago.

An amazing place, truly unique experience.

Yes definitely a place to recommend. Good advice to go early in the day. Last summer we arrived about 12 on a Sunday, place crowded. Staff very polite and efficient. But we were lucky cos the afternoon slots were nearly fully booked out by then. It is like nothing else. Older than the Pyramids, cover a lot of time. Lovely coffee shop too to refresh you afterwards with a great range of beverages and yummy cakes, not very cultural but truly tasty! Was in Tara but that didn't quite make such an impression on me. Good value too with family and student discounts, plus I think you can buy a yearly Heritage card if you intend visiting a few sites, better value than individual tickets.

Re: Newgrange/I'm lovin it.

Absolutely fabulous place. After you have been there go and sign up for a course in Archaeology with the Adult Education at www.ucd.ie You can take an interest only course or a certificate course. If you take the certificate course it includes a day trip to an archaeology site such as Newgrange or Dowth or Knowth or Tara or similar. Great fun, great tutors, great comraderie, great experience. www.taraskryne.org

Going in the morning and looking forward to it I will report back after my visit.:)

I know it's a little late but while you're there try to go to Knowth as well. It's only recently reopened to the public but I think it's better than Newgrange. Dowth is still closed I think.

On the archaeology trip with UCD (Adult Education) we were allowed in to the underground passageway at Dowth that is normally closed to the public. For those interested in taking up this course it is normally held on Monday evenings 7pm to 9pm. If you take the credit course you will have to keep a 1500 word learning journal and write a 1500 word essay/exercise on the course topic that might include a trip to the National Museum to do some research. If you take the interest only course you don't have to do any of the above. Have a look at www.knowth.com and www.mythicalireland.com

Griz

Had an excellent time in Newgrange etc. will tell all at the weekend.

:) Well as promised, I will give my impressions of Brú na Bóinne which I have been informed is the collective name for Newgrange, Knowth & Dowth. I must agree with the previous posters , the place is fantastic. From the moment you set your foot inside the Visitor Centre you are greeted with a friendly smile. We chose to go to Knowth & Newgrange both shuttle bus tours , and we also walked to Dowth. The food in the restauraunt was tasty but a little on the dear side. Bus journey 5 Mins was grand we had a nice cheery driver . Newgrange was awesome 5500 years old......:eek: a brilliant guide made it an even more unforgettable experience. Knowth was even more moving experience , more stone art here than anywhere in Europe. Again an excellent guide made this a very memorable occasion. Dowth is due to be excavated according to the locals so it is on my list for the future.
Brú na Bóinne is not marketed enough in Ireland maybe thats why 90% of our group were foreign tourists as opposed to Cork tourists.
As pub spy said before Rocky "I'll be back"

Back