Newgrange, Co Meath.

Coolaboy

My wife and I are going to visit Newgrange Heritage site in the next couple of weeks. We will stay the night thereabouts. Can you reccommend a nice place to stay and some restaurants in the area.Thanks.

There's a new hotel on the motorway exit just before the Duleek exit (the exit you need for Newgrange). it's called City North I think, I was just there once for a meeting and it looks fine. It's a bog standard new hotel, all the comforts etc and afaik it's not expensive.
If you want something a bit better, the D hotel in Drogeda is very nice, and there are a few restaurants in Drogheda that are more than adequate. You can book it on the net. Its not far from the D to Newgrange, maybe twenty minutes at most.

There is a lodge directly across the road from Newgrange:
http://www.newgrangelodge.com/?gclid=CNbMvfjnkJYCFRSb1Qodoy2aDw

Alternatively Drogheda is the nearest town to stay in.
The City North Hotel is not the most convenient hotel to Newgrange.
D Hotel is smack bang in the centre of town attached to Scotch Hall shopping centre.
Westcourt Hotel is in main street.

You should also visit Oldbridge house when in the area, nice gardens, house etc... coffee shop.
Slane is lovely to visit too, think the castle does tours this time of yr.
Enjoy!

Dalys Inn , Donore village , 2km from the Newgrange site. Excellent food , have had many Sunday Lunches there , accomodation gets good reports as well. Dont know if they have a website but you will find them in the 041 phonebook.
Edit : found their website [broken link removed]

Ditto on Daly's Inn, decent pub lunch and not expensive.
Not so sure about the Newgrange Lodge place, looks from the outside more like an upmarket youth hostel, but the website pictures look ok. I'd still be inclined to go for accommodation in the D Hotel, for the bit of comfort and near to restaurants and pubs, and maybe have lunch in Daly's.
You don't really need to be staying beside Newegrange anyway, as long as you're just a short drive away.

Yeah agree for Dalys too, forgot about though. Near to Drogheda and Newgrange. Best of both worlds.

Should also mention that the excellent Oldbridge House , the new Battle of the Boyne visitors centre is also in this area , probably about 5km from the Newgrange site and well worth a visit. Opened earlier this year.

Back