Newbie taxi driver - Ltd company versus sole trader?

D

Daffyduck

Okay.....I am a newbie here and so I have a few questions. Basically I was told not to do things the sole trader road as its dangerous etc...... So I was thinking private limited company but I have 1001 questions. If anyone can help it would be much appriciated! I'll break them up I suppose, into sections.

I am driving a taxi and have been keeping records of my expense and earnings but I have not got a clue about how being self employed works. What exactly needs to be contained in "proper books" can I do these myself? Do I need an accountant???

I have invested about €20,000 in total into things and just need a bit of advice.

I'll do a rough breakdown..... Car - €9250
Plate & licence €6390
Insurance €1500
Meter & sign €800
Tyres etc €225
Total invest - €18165

I would like to register a private limited company but I have a few questions. The above spendings are these "expenses" or what? and so can they be deducted from total earnings?

If I am a small time earner say under €30,000 a year, what what does PRSI, VAT and Corporation tax work, other taxes if any?

And claiming for day to day expenses i.e. Diesel, car services etc?

Also what way does a business bank AC work?

Any help much appriciated..... :)

I have changed the title of your thread to make it more meaningful. A Plc is a very different beast to a regular limited company which is what I presume you mean? Note that there are many existing thread on the "sole trader versus limited company" question that might be worth searching out and reading. Who advised you that sole trader was a bad idea in this context? You should certainly consider talking to a good accountant about many of the issues that you raise above.

thanks clubman......I do plan on speaking to an accountant but I would like to have a little knowledge before I do. The sole trader thing scares me after what I have read as you are responsible etc with the limited company its separate and has limited liability.

I wouldn't see any point in setting up a limited company if you are the only employee and will "only" be earning €30k. As I understand in the first instance the company will have to pay corporation tax, then any dividend paid, i.e. your salary, will be taxed. There is a double hit.

Even as a limited company if you only have say two directors and given the size of the undertaking, anyone who lends you money would probably look for personal guarantees anyway thereby negating the protection of being a limited liability enterprise.

I can't see how being a sole-trader is particularly "dangerous"?

I wouldn't see any point in setting up a limited company if you are the only employee and will "only" be earning €30k.

I agree.
As I understand in the first instance the company will have to pay corporation tax, then any dividend paid, i.e. your salary, will be taxed. There is a double hit.
Fwiw, this isn't correct. Salaries are deductible from company profits for corporation tax purposes. Nobody in their right mind would go to the hassle of actually paying dividends to shareholders in such a small company.
Even as a limited company if you only have say two directors and given the size of the undertaking, anyone who lends you money would probably look for personal guarantees anyway thereby negating the protection of being a limited liability enterprise.

I can't see how being a sole-trader is particularly "dangerous"?
Exactly

Fwiw, this isn't correct. Salaries are deductible from company profits for corporation tax purposes. Nobody in their right mind would go to the hassle of actually paying dividends to shareholders in such a small company.

Point taken.

What if at year end there is a profit? or would they have to sit down close to year end to ensure that the final salaries ate up any profit.

What if at year end there is a profit?
remaining profit taxable to corporation tax at 12.5%

or would they have to sit down close to year end to ensure that the final salaries ate up any profit.
Usually a good idea. That said if salaries eat up all profits year-in year-out, you would need to consider is there any point in having a company in the first instance. It certainly seems like a crazy option for a business earning only €30k per year.

1. No tax savings at that level of income/turnover
2. Expense & hassle of CRO compliance, fines and audit fees if you fail to comply.
3. Costs of forming & closing down company.

As a taxi driver I'm sure you know a lot of other taxi drivers. Perhaps you could enquire, of one-man owner drivers, how many of them are operating as limited companies. I think you might find that there are not as many as you might think, mainly for the reasons Ubi has mentioned above.

Last edited:
Daffyduck,
I would say your best bet is to approach other Taxi drivers and see what they are doing. If you are attached to a base then it would be normal practice for most of the cab owners to have the one accountant (thereby gaining a discount).
If your earning just €30k then a sole trader is the route for you and take advise from drivers who are involved in taxi driving for years.
I would also assume the Taxi Drivers Federation would have advise and also be able to recommend an accountant who has worked for many Taxi drivers.

Okay, thanks....sorry if I am coming across as thick! But I do need to know, say 30,000 for the first year but that could grow afterwards.

Am I right in saying that as a sole trader I can't claim vat back but I dont have to take it out of my earnings, just pay income tax?

If I have a company, I can lodge everything into a company account, pay myself a wage - minus PRSI and PAYE, and pay 12.5% on the profits but what way does VAT work there?

If a fare is €50, does that mean that because its a company, that 21% of that must be given to the tax man?

The 21% you are talking about is VAT. When you file your VAT return for fares you can deduct your VAT outgoings such as petrol, car repairs, expenses associated with running your business etc so you don't have to give 21% to the tax man. I would suggest you sit down with an existing sole trader taxi driver and go through all of the financial ins and outs. There's quite a lot involved and you will get a fairly fragmented picture of what is involved from the replies you get to your posts.

I think passenger transport is exempt from VAT so that would include taxis. I would try find somone who has a taxi and have a chat
P

The 21% you are talking about is VAT. When you file your VAT return for fares you can deduct your VAT outgoings such as petrol, car repairs, expenses associated with running your business etc so you don't have to give 21% to the tax man.

Polly2000 - you are correct. Taxi fares are 'exempt' per the Revenue.ie web site:
Taxis, Services Of

Rate: Exempt
Section/Sch: Para(xiv)1st Sc

Okay, thanks....sorry if I am coming across as thick! But I do need to know, say 30,000 for the first year but that could grow afterwards.

Am I right in saying that as a sole trader I can't claim vat back but I dont have to take it out of my earnings, just pay income tax?

If I have a company, I can lodge everything into a company account, pay myself a wage - minus PRSI and PAYE, and pay 12.5% on the profits but what way does VAT work there?

If a fare is €50, does that mean that because its a company, that 21% of that must be given to the tax man?

I think I am correct in saying that even if you weren't exempt from charging VAT as a sole trader you can be registered for VAT.

I think I am correct in saying that even if you weren't exempt from charging VAT as a sole trader you can be registered for VAT.

Exempt means you do not charge VAT on turnover and you cannot claim vat credit on any outgoings. Zero rated businesses charge no vat on turnover but are entitled to claim back any vat paid out

In context of part of the OP's VAT question, a sole trader as well as a company may be registered for VAT. What determines registration is whether the trader ( sole-trader or company) is carrying on a VATable activity and is either over the thresholds for registration or elects to register if under the threshold. The type of enterprise, sole-trader or company does not itself have any bearing on the requirement or otherwise for registration for VAT.

In the case of a taxi operator, being an exempt activity, neither sole-trader nor company would be registering for VAT.

The Vat thing has interested me there, if it was a company and the taxi end was only part of the income, could one claim vat back??

Back