New Zealand

Hi Emmt,

Thanks for that information.

Just wondering of you could provide some further info.

How long did you travel for?
What kind of insurance cover did you take out on the campervan?
Can you remember the exact type of vehicle you hired?
Does it work out cheaper or fairly much the same as travelling by bus/train and staying in hostels?

Anything else that you think would be of benefit would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason.

Trying to organise a holiday in NZ for folks. Both are OAPs and don't want to drive over there and the less hassle for them the better. Something organised from start to finish would be ideal. Would like to get them a package deal that would include flights and tours around the North & South Island. Have anyone heard of any companies that do something similar.

Going to NZ in August and was wondering can anyone recommend a nice place (hostel/self catering) to stay in Christchurch, not too expensive? I want to have something booked in advance for the first night or two and wing it from there. I'm guessing we'll be like zombies by the time we get off the plane so will probably need to sleep for a while when we arrive...

just back! used ezy rentals backpacker car and with the Picton wellington crossing fare included it was about 900NZD all in for a Nissan Sunny for 20 days.
the crossing is beautiful and i would advise ( on a good day) to take it and not to fly.

if you are flora and fauna folks then check out the seal colony at westport - loads of they just basking for free! ate in the dennison dog restaurant there incidently and it was really good food.
Go to Milford S in the morning as it clouded over when we were there and although it was gorgeous it might have been better if not so overcast.
The glacier is a must as is that drive (we were stopping every while too and it was a race to take photo and and not be passed out by pseky slow campervans!!)
We were in some lovely campsites and some really great value double room youth hostels so don;t get bogged down trying to book them from here - there are loads of accommodation options.
If it rains do the activities anyhow - we kayaked in the rain, and heat or Abel Tasman park - and it was gorgeous, when the sun came up it was really wow.
lastly Napier Art Deco weekend is on in Feb i think and i thought it was a nice place to drive around and visit the vineyards.

oh and don't forget to go North of Auckland - Bay of islands is also beautiful.

Sooo depressing to be back....
you will love it - have a great trip!

Hotels
Rates vary widely depending on the season - we were there in November (late Spring rates) and the prices were half the summer rates. We used www.wotif.com to make reservations as we went along, and got some great rates for good quality accommodation. For example we spent 2 nights enjoying the countryside and thermal springs in http://www.heritagehotels.co.nz/hanmer-springs/ at what weren't too far off hostel rates.

Car Hire
We used www.argusrentals.com (Irish based) to hire a car for the 3 weeks. Advantages were:
  • Fantastic rate for a saloon
  • Dealing with am Irish based provider somehow appears to offer some additional comfort
Disadvantages were:
  • Local provider (www.scotties.co.nz in Christchurch) was exceptionally gruff and rude to deal with
  • Car was a Japanese import, 6/7 years old
  • Local provider not airport based, requiring a (provided) 30 minute bus trip to and from the car pick-up - this actually cost us a half day at each end.
  • A niggling feeling wondering what would happen if the yoke stopped in the middle of nowhere and we needed a replacement - could have cost us a day or two.
In summary, you get what you pay for.

Driving
Regarding driving, having been to both Islands on separate 3 week trips, I would recommend if possible spending 3/4 weeks on each island - there is so much to see and do. Resist the temptation to cram it all in to one short holiday. While I wouldn't normally be a fan of Tourist Board propaganda, the NZ Tourist Authority has great route suggestions http://www.newzealand.com/travel/destinations/driving-routes/driving-routes-home.cfm - we used these as a basis and it was really helpful.

One other comment, if you decide to visit Milford Sound (and you should), I'd recommend leaving the car in either Te Anua or Queenstown and enjoy the journey from the comfort of a coach - the drive is very demanding and in inclement weather (always a likelihood in that area) could be hell. Flying in/out is also an option (we booked, but the flights were cancelled and we had to take a coach because of the cloud)

Re the whales at Kaikoura.
Is this do-able on a day trip ? I've got one day to spare in Christchurch & wondering if I would have enough time.
I saw on No Frontiers that you can see them from a helicopter !
I already swan with the dolphins in Sorrento( south of Melbourne) on my last Ossie visit & yes it's a wonderful experience, but it's the whales I'm more interested in this time.

The whale trip is few hours only, you get introductory film.
You then boat out to where they were last spotted and then you hang around until they surface again. Then you just float beside them and then the big moment is when they dive. You might get glimpse of dolphins or penguins swimming alongside. They also take you to seal (se lion ?) colony and you get to spend few minutes there.
There were no Japanese tourists to be seen on board so was much quieter and relaxed.
It is tail watching really but nice to see once anyway.

Back