New york

Jay1981

Hey all. I'm going to New York in Jan and want to stay close to time square. Can anyone reccomend a good hotel in that area. Also it's my first time to Americsa and i'll be there for 5 days and want to to all the tourists things. What is a good tour company over there to get?:)

I stay in the Milford Plaza, on 7th avenue. I could see time square from my room (well i could see some of it). Was a grand hotel, small but thats the case everywhere there, anyways only used it to sleep (and of course bulid a fort ;op). Was cheaper than most around.
As for getting about. I found the red bus tour very informative (like the dub bus ones) Hope on and off when you want. Bring you to most of the tourist areas. An cheaper than a taxi :)

Last edited:
Whatever you do - Do not stay in the Carter Hotel, Repeat DO NOT STAY IN THE CARTER HOTEL - It is a dump.

The Millenium Broadway is right beside Time Square. I've stayed in it several times.
It will be very cold there in January so pack the thermals.

I can highly recommend both the Belvedare Hotel & The Novotel, both lovely and both on time square...

I highly recommend the "search this forum" box at the top of the page...there are hundreds of NY threads already!

I have searched them but was hoping for more choice. Whats the weather usually like in NY in Jan?

Very cold.

I was there at the start of February last year , and there was lots of snow.

Not necessarily!! We were there in January 2007 and it was 16C on one of the days we were there and it stayed around 10 for the rest of the week. January 2008 was another matter, at its "warmest" it reached 2c and at coldest -10C

Layers are the key!

Also check out the Big Apple Greeter programme. It's locals who volunteer to give you 3 hours of their time to show you some of NY. It's free and it's a great way to see NY from a different perspective. We did Central Park with our greeter and it was great. You're not guaranteed a greeter as demand exceeds supply but do apply!

we were there at the end of Feb last year and were prepared for the cold to find it was warm so you do have to layer. saying that on the last 2days there was a freak snow storm and it was sooo cold.

We stayed in the Marriott Marquis its fab with a revolving restaurant you should also check out the Tripadvisor Ny forum

We stay in The Double Tree expensive but great - next door to subway and walk out into Time Square - central to everywhere we love it.

We have stayed in Milford Plaza twice so I would recommend that. THe last time we stayed in Hotel St James it is cheaper and about the same distance from Times Sq so would definitely recommend. Also we got the NY pass for our last trip and we saved loads as well as having the convenience of all major tourist attractions paid for in advance.

Stayed in the Affinia on 7th Ave. a couple of years ago, right beside Madison Square Gardens and it was excellent. Great location.

Stayed in the Westin and Millenium Broadway the last 2 years in January. Both through hotwire.com.
Both times the weather was dry but cold but wrap up warm and you'll be fine. Actually one of the days had snow last year that meant that we could not go to Woodbury Common in fear of not getting back again.

Back