new water board salaries?

johnwilliams

just heard that there is a new water board being set up ,how many directors /execs will be on this board and more important how much of our water charge money will be used to pay their salaries, bonuses and pensions

have a guess, its a con as usual just an excuse to allow FG to dole out plum roles. we can do nothing end of

Are you serious asking what relevance?.
If cronyism is not really involved the present era dictates that even the appearance of cronyism is avoided. Just as judges recluse themselves if there's a whiff of bias, so should govnt appointees who had a top job in that govnt party, whether or not he/she may be the best person for that job.

Last edited:
So are you saying that every appointee should be scrutinised as to their political preferences and if there is any connection with the party in power, then they should be excluded?

Should they be asked how they voted in the last election?

How about their extended family? Where is the line drawn?

According to the Bord Gáis website, the CEO was appointed as CEO and to the Board in 2007; [broken link removed]. I doubt therefore that FG had any influence in his appointment, given they were in opposition at the time. Also, I wouldn't consider the role of President of Young Fine Gael as particularly influential (with no disrespect to the organisation).

No, but the selection of BG to manage the Bord Uisce monopoly as a subsidiary was made this year.

ajapale have you any reason to suspect that the contract was won as a result of the CEO being ex president of Young Fine Gael, as opposed to being the best bid on the table? I'm all for questioning how a contract is won but simply hinting at cronyism is not enough in my book. How about a bit more digging before you cast aspersions.

I actually thought the idea to establish Irish Water as a subsidiary of an existing state company was a good one. Bord Gais is a successful company, with existing know how on utilities management. Why start from scratch if the expertise is already available?

Back