New Ulster Bank product to match NIB ?

NavanMan1

Just wondering if anybody heard about Ulster Bank bringing out a new mortgage product to match NIB ???

Was driving home on Friday evening and caught the last bit of an item on the radio where they mentioned that UB was going to match NIB. Searched the Sunday Business Post at the weekend but no mention

Re: New Ulster Bank product

its 0.75% margin on top of ECB for loan to value under 80% for anyone who holds a U First Account

rumours are that the U First Account is going to be re-vamped in February offering addtional improved features!

no news though as to whether existing customers will have to get an up to date valuation

Hi

As a follow up, but associated question ... for those who previously signed up for a UFirst current account, paying monthly fees, in order to get the small discount of 0.1% on their mortgage interest rate, has anyone since sought to have these fees waived in light of UBs adverts for free current account banking now ?

.. if so, how did you get on & do you still get your 0.1% discount on the mortgage rate, if you did get the charges on the current account waived ?

Thanks

I asked for reduction in rate as LTV improved, but was told no deal! As the rate is very competitive, I cannot tmove in any case.

I took out a UB Tracker mortgage at ECB plus .95 and had this discounted to .85 because i opened a U First account, the following day i asked them to close the U First account. they did query this but i pointed out that nowhere in the small print did it state that this could not be done. i am not sure if they have changed the T&C's but that was over 2 years ago and have heard nothing since.

I took out a UB Tracker mortgage at ECB plus .95 and had this discounted to .85 because i opened a U First account, the following day i asked them to close the U First account. they did query this but i pointed out that nowhere in the small print did it state that this could not be done. i am not sure if they have changed the T&C's but that was over 2 years ago and have heard nothing since.

From here: http://www.ulsterbank.ie/content/ri/personal/current_accounts/downloads/T_C.pdf it states that

"If for any reason your ufirst Current Account is closed and you have a Mortgage with ufirst discount the interest rate will revert to the bank’s prevailing Tracker rate (unless you are switching to a ufirst Current Account)."

So looks like the T & C's changed after your smart move.​

Last edited:

Ha Ha

Just goes to show, one individual can influence a large bank ... eh, when it suits the bank, sadly ;)

its 0.75% margin on top of ECB for loan to value under 80% for anyone who holds a U First Account

rumours are that the U First Account is going to be re-vamped in February offering addtional improved features!

no news though as to whether existing customers will have to get an up to date valuation

Anyway, it seems that anyone who wants a reduction in their lending rate just has to get an up to date valuation done on thier home and drop it into UB to prove the LTV, then they will do the rest !

Hi

As a follow up, but associated question ... for those who previously signed up for a UFirst current account, paying monthly fees, in order to get the small discount of 0.1% on their mortgage interest rate, has anyone since sought to have these fees waived in light of UBs adverts for free current account banking now ?

.. if so, how did you get on & do you still get your 0.1% discount on the mortgage rate, if you did get the charges on the current account waived ?

Thanks
I looked into it but as the post above states you revert back to the standard rate if you close the account. However, I worked it out at the time that the €9 it was costing me was saving me €15 on my mortgage. I'm sure that saving has increased (albeit slightly ;)) in the last 2 years with rate rises.

Plus I've used the ufirst service to purchase many concert tickets, all at 25% discount, so the account is worth it if you use it.

Plus I've used the ufirst service to purchase many concert tickets, all at 25% discount, so the account is worth it if you use it.

Oh ?

Well thats good to know, out of interest do they have tickets for all major events & how difficult is it to source the tickets through them etc ?

Cheers

G>

just wondering if this mortgage is available to self-build mortgages???

Oh ?

Well thats good to know, out of interest do they have tickets for all major events & how difficult is it to source the tickets through them etc ?

Cheers

G>
Yes, they seem to have access to almost everything. Not too sure on this but I remember checking before and pretty sure you could get most concerts, and this includes concerts abroad as far as I know (again not 100% on this). Last concert I got was Bob Dylan in Kilkenny last year. 25% discount on both tickets.

Worth calling the ufirst customer number (can't remember off the top of my head?) if you're thinking of seeing something. The process is quite simple. You just call and place your order. However, they don't guarantee the tickets because they get someone to ring the ticket line on your behalf when they become available.

Also, it's worth noting some other benefits. Like the "sale cash back offer". Basically, if you buy something on your UB credit card, and it's reduced in a sale within the next 30 days or so(?) UB will refund the difference. I bought shower doors when I moved into my apartment for €360 and a week later the shop had them on sale at half-price. So I just collected the relevent info from the store (statement of original price and sale price, signed by manger with relevent dates) and handed it in to UB and I got a cheque posted to me for the difference, €180. It's was very handy.:)

I decided to get rid of UFirst account as it wasn't worth it for me and I just simply went in and signed a form and they 'downgraded' my account to the free CA. My rate is still the same though but I asked to get lowered to LTV rate and they insisted on getting a valuation done. I tried using the UF discounts for hotels abroad and found better deals on the web myself. I also had to wait ages to get someone to answer my call. All in all I didn't find it good value for €9 a month.

ELCTO:

Did you get the valuation and did they reduce the rate? As I mentioned earlier, they refused t odo so for me. If they did for you, then I will try again!!

I was on 1 yr fixed new business rate of 3.08% with ICS and they offered me standard variable of 4.84% after 1 year. When I rang to query it they had no idea of what their tracker rates were over the phone and suggested ringing The Mortgage Store. I rang them and within 1 hour they matched the Ulster bank offer of ECB + 0.75%.

Nice one Brylcreem :)

ButtermilkJa - thanks for the info, worth checking out from the sounds of things :)

Anyone managed to get UB to pay for their valuation, as part of the process of getting them to reduce their margin on your Tracker btw ?

Thanks

G>

Grrrr, I hate when those unison article links are posted. ;)

I refuse to sign up because they ask you everything including what you had for breakfast that day. Bloody cheek of them.

So? Just tell them you're a 105-year-old entrepreneur, earn <€20K, read the Kerryman and are interested in property.
You might get co-opted onto a Co. Council or something! ;)

LOL :D You're not far wrong!!

Na, only kiddin'. I suppose I could have some fun with the questions alright.

Back