New tax & vrt rates?

colly

I'm thinking of bringing in a 2001/2002 BMW M3. My plan was to do it before July 2008, cause then I would avail of current tax and vrt rates, and not the new band, which on this car will be quite a lit higher: €2,000 tax instead of €1,491 and VRT of 36% and not 30% as it is currently.

However, someone now tells me that the new rates only apply to brand New vehicles registered, if the car is 2nd hand it doesn't make a difference.

Can anyone please clear this up for me?
Thanks

Re: Can someone please confirm the truth about the new tax & vrt rates for me please?

However, someone now tells me that the new rates only apply to brand New vehicles registered, if the car is 2nd hand it doesn't make a difference.

Can anyone please clear this up for me?
Technically, the advice "someone" gave you is currently correct.

However, this has changed from the original details which were announced and I wouldn't be shocked if the exact details change again (I'm not suggesting that they will, I've no inside knowledge, but my confidence in trusting what has been detailed to date is low given the already significant changes to the original plan).

Re: Can someone please confirm the truth about the new tax & vrt rates for me please?

Article on the confusion that exists in todays [broken link removed]. I would check out the motoring forum on boards.ie. I believe in the case of a used import after July, the new VRT rates will apply, but the "old" road tax. e.g.. the road tax for a 2005 car will be the same regardless of where/when it came from, but I'm open to correction on this!

look at www.simi.ie

It appeares that an exception to the old annual road tax applying to imports (first registered before 1 Jan 2008) is if they are in the highest emissions band - which I assume would be the case for the m3

It appears that annual road tax will be €2000 pa now no matter when you import it now!

That's my interpretation of it as it is stated in the info. provided by the SIMI on their website but I stand to be corrected

colly, as it stands now - you would be subject to the higher rate of VRT (1 July changes apply to new cars and cars imported from outside Ireland) and the old system of motor tax (annual tax) - based on the size of the engine

.... so probably the 36% VRT but the lower €1491 annual tax

as Satanta says - you wouldn't be at all surprised for more changes before 1 july

It will be the new VRT rates to import any car from July 1st, but the Road tax change is not for pre 08 cars

Hi

If you are looking for the official figures and information on VRT changes I can offer you a few solutions.

1. Visit a reputable new car website.

A good example of this is www.drivemagazine.ie BMW Ireland posted their official post July price changes on their website about two weeks ago.

Better still you will be able to read a review of the new BMW.

2. www.vrt.ie No official prices like on the previous site mentioned but you'll get the idea pretty quickly.

3. Wait till July and see what happens, you are going to save 7 and a half grand on a new 3 series or 8 and a half grand on a new 5 series.

Whatever you do buy from a reputable main Irish dealership.

Remember Rte's Primetime last week?

Thanks, so just to confirm: if I bring in a car BEFORE the July cutoff, I will pay 30% VRT and €1,491 tax. But what happens after July is anyone's guess

If you are importing the car.

As far as I know the VRT will still be calculated on the same basis as new cars on the road as of Jan 2008. EG By emmissions as opposed to engine size.

Your tax should also go to the new band.

If you are going to buy a brand new BMW from a Main Irish dealer, you will save a considerable sum of money, my advice if you are serious about an 08 reg BMW would be to get on to your local dealer and see if you can organise the car you want for collection in July.

Once again I would reccomend that you visit www.drivemagazine.ie and check the news section of the site. All of the information that they publish is official and therefore correct at time of publication.

Don't forget that even though you will save on the new car, a similar figure will evaporate in residual VRT from your trade in .....if you have a trade in.

There is no free lunch in this world......

Its almost as if nobody knows what is going on.

As above I thought new register of second hand car was new vrt and new road tax.

Now it seems the choice of new road tax is only for people who can afford to buy 08. Very green stance this.

At one time Mary Harney was telling us all to shop around for fuel insurance everything, thanks to the gov for allowing us the option:mad:

Well done to Irish motoring lobyists for clawing back some of the money out of your pocket and mine.

Keep the motorist down and screw every cent you can out of said motorist.

The gov backtracked on the Road tax on March 6th, changing it to only 08 cars that are registered. but the VRT is emissions based as of July 1st. for the Rate on any car you can use this website [broken link removed]

The point Creditcrunch makes is valid abd should also be kept in mind, as all calculations will change from July.

For anyone thats interested dealers are lumbered with a serious amount of used cars at the moment.

Yes they are......

So do as Mata says and shop around.

Main Dealers will do a great deal for you if you want a used car.

My advice is buy from a main dealer....why?

1. Did you watch L & L Auto's on RTE last week?

2. A big fancy showroom means that these people are SERIOUS about what they do and will be there when you need to go back to them.

Sure it may cost a little more than the guy on the side of the road, but it's the peace of mind that you cannot get from the Arthur Daly Brigade.

I believe the call it service.

It will be the new VRT rates to import any car from July 1st, but the Road tax change is not for pre 08 cars
[broken link removed]
check out this website - they seem to be of the opinion that motor tax will change irrespective of year. Are they incorrect??

[broken link removed]
check out this website - they seem to be of the opinion that motor tax will change irrespective of year. Are they incorrect??

In a word - Yes - for the most succinct answer abou this thorny issue - see Ceatherlach's entry below

What a crazy system where the treatment of motor tax is seperated from VRT treatment.
There should be uniformity to these rules - for the majority of car buyers in second hand category the changes wont make a bit of difference to their choice of car.

Main Dealers will do a great deal for you if you want a used car.

My advice is buy from a main dealer....why?

1. Did you watch L & L Auto's on RTE last week?

2. A big fancy showroom means that these people are SERIOUS about what they do and will be there when you need to go back to them.

Do you have any connection with the motor trade by any chance?

The gov backtracked on the Road tax on March 6th, changing it to only 08 cars that are registered. but the VRT is emissions based as of July 1st. for the Rate on any car you can use this website [broken link removed]

So you're saying that if someone buys a "low emmissions" 2008 car before July they get the new low road tax from 2009 onwards? (Before, the thinking was definitely that if you buy "low emmissions" before 1 July you pay the higher VRT and the higher road tax for the future).

So in road tax terms a "low emmissions" car bought on 30 June was always to be worse off than one bought on 1 July, but now (since this recent change) a 2008 model before or after 1 July are the same for 2009 road tax onwards.

This makes a significant difference for someone considering an import because, under the old rules, if you wanted a Jan '08 car there was an incentive to import Vs buy and Irish car, because the import would be first Irish reg after 1 July 08 and therefore under the new low road tax. I suppose for 2007 and older models it still makes sense to import to lock in lower road tax for "low emmission" cars. Am I right on this?

The VRT changes as of July 1st, but when you go to renew road tax in 09 on a jan to july 08 car it will be new emmissions tax.

Back