New speed camera vans being deployed from today

briancbyrne

Reported today that New speed camera vans being deployed in accident blackspots throughout the country

About time too, it's a pity there are not more around the country.

Is this part of the rollout of hundreds of detection units or have the government given up on that idea?

nope - but one can only hope that a sensible approach is taken and they arent found on such streches as the Ashbourne by pass !

I wouldn’t mind a camera or two on that bypass. In recent months I’ve seen cars planted on the roundabouts after crashing through the warning signs and increasing lengths of crash barrier seem to be getting crashed into. I would imagine anyone who will speed on a motorway wouldn’t have any problem speeding on any other road should they feel they would get away with it. Personally I’d be in favour of having speed cameras on the entrance and exit of every town. I can’t see it happening though.

This can only be good news for the construction industry.

We will need to construct big walls all over Ireland for these new stealth vans to hide behind.

Gone are the days when Plod the police biker simply hid behind a hedge.

Now with cutting edge technology vans they will be able to go undetected behind large stonewalls.

Everyone is a winner.

Beware of any new stonewalling projects in your town as it is sure to conceal Irelands latest tax collection vans.

The idea of these particular vans IS high visibility. They are to be as much a visual deterent as anything else.

I agree with above - I hope they are in 'actual' blackspots and not shooting turkeys on the Portlaoise or Carlow bypass or where ever other piece of road in the country that actually allows you to pass a truck.

Here is the problem.

Where does the money for the fines go?

I believe it makes it's way to the Garda fund.

This is why you will never see vans like these parked in plain view.

Why do they need "Stealth Vans"?

Why not have huge Garda vans at the side of the road?

The simple reason is that there is NO MONEY to be had from being visible.

Here is the problem.

Where does the money for the fines go?

I believe it makes it's way to the Garda fund.

This is why you will never see vans like these parked in plain view.

Why do they need "Stealth Vans"?

Why not have huge Garda vans at the side of the road?

The simple reason is that there is NO MONEY to be had from being visible.

The simple solution is keep the speed down and keep your MONEY in your pocket!

When I lived in the UK, they had signs up warning of cameras, fixed and mobile. If slowing people down is the idea then I am all up for overt operations.

If they want to raise money then don't have the commisioner on the telly saying they are doing it to discourage instead of catch people.

gardai hiding behind bus stops on a 60 KPH dual caiageway is a money making excercise.

And don't go preaching about staying under speed limits on roads that are clearly marked down to catch people.

They were on the M50, near the M1 roundabout....clocking the traffic going southbound. I reckon that was like shooting fish in a barrell !

Here is the problem, blah blah blah.
The problem is that if people did not exceed speed limits, no fines would be incurred. They are not stealth vans; clearly marked and clearly visible vans will now be on patrol.
And speed limits are limits, not orders to drive at that speed or a little above it. Instead of blaming government/gardai/anyone else, isn't it about time, drivers took some responsibility for safe driving. This means staying within limits and following the rules of the road not because rules exist or drivers are afraid of getting caught, but because it actually would mean a reduction in unsafe driving, injuries and deaths.
Perhaps if drivers took some responsibility, fewer traffic corps would be required.
Though I am probably living in dreamland, expecting people to be responsible.

as long as they are indeed deployed at the blackspots I couldnt agree more!

Blackspots?

Most developed country's engineer out of the road system any so called blackspots

Cash cameras Vans giving out fines do not impose road safety.

Sweden one of the most safety concious societies in Europe recently increased it's speed limits. It can do so because it recognises that speed is only a small factor in traffic accidents relative to poor driving standards

The standard of driving in Ireland is absymal

Instead of the Gardai doing their usual revenue collecting and doing nothing for road safety the money would have been better spent on ironing out any "blackspots" and employing more Traffic corps Gardai to enforce correct driving as well as training for learners before they get a licence

Local authorites set the speed limits, the gardai enforce them and the motorists who speed recklessly endanger lives. Most people caught speeding claim they never saw the speed zone signs. If they didnt see them because of excess speed what other errors could they make? Just look at traffic lights - how many cars speed through on red chancing their arm? If they saw a Garda at the lights they wouldn't do that? If its such a money making racket putting speed detectors vans out who can come up with the figures please? I for one would love to know how much is actually profit for the powers that be? And I agree - driving standards here are appalling but dont go blaming the Gardai for that!!

They were on the N7 the other day just past Newlands Cross going South, a usual hotspot!!! Fish and Barrels.....:D

As an aside the woman in front of me practically stopped her car she braked so hard! and she wasnt even doing the speed..........:mad:

Back