New pharmacy rules restricting sale of codeine products

I was in the medicine section of a Boots recently and I overheard a lady asking for Solpadeine for her period pains (yes I heard the entire consultation, no privacy at all). After an interrogation where she was offered other products that she claimed she had tried before and that they did not work for her - she was refused the solpadeine and left empty handed.

Boots seem to be particularly rigorous. I popped in one morning on my way to work to buy neurofen plus, I suffer from very bad period pain. I was quizzed by the male pharmacist at the counter, I then asked him for feminax. He wasn't keen to give me this either but did sell it to me. I only need to take 2/4 painkillers every month/couple of months depending and I didn't appreciate the quizzing about period pain at the counter.

I don't agree with how the restrictions work either......but I think the problem is actually more widespread than most people realise.

I agree with both points above. It is a widespread problem, and it does need to be addressed, but the manner in which it is being addressed is just frustrating for people with a genuine issue who dont have an addiction problem.

And lets face it, its a half measure, I pass around 9 chemists on my way home from work, there is nothing to stop me going to each of them, telling a convincing story about period cramps and back strain and procuring a packet of solpadeine in each of them.

If it was such a problem and codeine was causing so much addiction the stuff would have been made prescription only and lined the GPs pockets a bit more on top of 'saving' the addicts from themselves.

And lets face it, its a half measure, I pass around 9 chemists on my way home from work, there is nothing to stop me going to each of them, telling a convincing story about period cramps and back strain and procuring a packet of solpadeine in each of them.

If it was such a problem and codeine was causing so much addiction the stuff would have been made prescription only and lined the GPs pockets a bit more on top of 'saving' the addicts from themselves.

I agree, but I do think getting a prescription is a bit expensive for everyday aches and pains.
In the USA I remember having to produce a driver's licence to get a flu remedy that contained paracetemol - I think the system was centralised to all pharmacies in the area, and I presume flagged if someone was purchasing dangerous amounts. Not exactly sure how it worked, but there was obviously some level of control in place.

I agree, but I do think getting a prescription is a bit expensive for everyday aches and pains.
In the USA I remember having to produce a driver's licence to get a flu remedy that contained paracetemol - I think the system was centralised to all pharmacies in the area, and I presume flagged if someone was purchasing dangerous amounts. Not exactly sure how it worked, but there was obviously some level of control in place.

I think a prescription for ordinary aches and pains is OTT as well - but itd save the judgemental invasive questioning in public - which results in not even being given the medication in some cases!

The situation you describe with the drivers licence above would be the perfect solution, but dont you know thats too good of an idea to implement!!

The situation you describe with the drivers licence above would be the perfect solution, but dont you know thats too good of an idea to implement!!

To be honest I see that systems as being even more invasive and worrying. First, I don't see it as anyone's business what painkilling medication I buy (not it should also be pointed out that all painkillers have levels of addiction equal to codine ones, it isn't the ingredients people get addicted to but the effects) and possibly for what reasons. Especially with the record of official bodies handling personal data in this State.

The vast, vast majority of people are able to go about their lives sensibly and take on board the advice given on labels, we should just leave it at that.

Well Latrade - while I also agree with you that we should just be left alone to take personal responsibility, if there is a genuine medical concern that people are abusing painkillers, and some kind of a system is to be put in place, Id prefer it to be a sensible non judgemental type of system rather than the subjective half measure thats been implemented.

Purely on a practical basis, when my parents were alive I did quite a bit of their shopping for them as theyd no car and there were mobility issues - so Id buy their solpadeine if needed - now according to new rules youre not allowed to buy it for someone else, the person has to present themselves. How many old people or people with mobility issues are now being suffering with minor aches and pains needlessly as a result of the new rules?

I picked up Analgi plus in Lanzarote, each nurafen plus tablet has 12% codeine but this has 30% in each tablet, I was only sold 1 box of 20 but didn't have a grilling. I had planned on visiting a few more pharmacies whilst on holiday but never got around to it. They are very good but I'd be pretty slow to take them, had a back problem for a bit and needed something but all fine now so they are on the top shelf.

I have used Solpadine and Syndol for years for migraine, I was refused by Boots the other day, they tried to give me Panadol ( they reduced these to 1 packet some time back) which I know are not as effective so I bought Syndol somewhere else after a grilling. I only need possibly 2 x 2 doses in a day, every week or more. How anyone can get addicted to these is beyond my comprehension. This has really gone over the top.

.....they tried to give me Panadol.........which I know are not as effective....

This annoys me too. I dont want to waste money on something that I know doesnt work for me, I want to part with my hard earned cash on a medicine that I know works and that I know I can take without side effects (some pain killers give me an upset stomach).

Boots seem to be particularly militant.

I had a back injury a few months ago. My GP gave me a prescription for ixprim which made me drowsy and did nothing much for the pain. Neurofen + was the only thing that worked. Friend had to get them for me in the pharmacy and was asked a few questions but did manage to get them (I was not in any positon to go myself). I took them for 2 - 3 weeks, had zero impact on me other than to relieve the pain. Maybe this addiction only effects some people. Considering the country is awash with illegal drugs I do thing this is ott.

Suffering with a dose for a week now - on way home from work yesterday I headed into the local Pharmacy to by some Solpadine.
I know the assistant and asked for a pack, she then asked what they were for, who they were for etc and then had to ok it with the pharmacist who nodded ok.
Now, I was the only one in the shop but still felt more than a little uneasy.
When asked if a box of 12 would suffice - I changed my mind and bought 24 (least I won't need to go through that again for a year).. Jeez!!:eek:

And yet you could buy the full stock of alcohol and cigarettes in any Supermarket and no one would bat an eyelid, well they would, but you know what I mean :D

Back