New Late Late - Good or bad?

Didn't see it. I miss Gaybo's light-handed professionalism and never enjoyed the Plank's ham-fisted gauchery.

I never took to Mr. I-Haven't-A-First-Name-At-All-At-All on the wireless or the telly; curiosity tempted me until I heard the dreaded C word on the guest line-up so I tuned in to The Tudors, Mr Woss and Pulp Fiction.

I just watched the Cowen interview, thought both handled it very well, Cowen looked alot more polished than usual.

Agree it's still turbidy tonight but to me that's no bad thing. I flicked cos I did want to see Joan Collins so saw the end of Cowan and thought it was fine. Have a slight change of heart about Brian McF who I thought up to now was selfish little ....! Thought the Corr girl was rubbish.

I never watch it, but did last night. Thought he did well, but felt like he was only willing to push people so far. Thought Cowen got a better reaction from the crowd than he deserved.

agree with you, Becky. There was a reason why the other girl was the lead singer.

Have to say, enjoyed it overall.
He put difficult questions to Cowen and McFadden when necessary, thought Cherie Blair was entertaining and interesting to see Saoirse R...whatever babbling on like a normalish teenager.

Didn't see the Corr performance, and felt the audience interaction part was a bit trying-too-hard.
Was watching it online and reading the blow-by-blow thread on boards.ie, somebody posted they thought the chap from Louth was the most interesting interview of the night, which I thought was funny. Perhaps the online chatter made it more enjoyable. Anybody else do this?

Last edited:
I never watch it, but did last night. Thought he did well, but felt like he was only willing to push people so far. Thought Cowen got a better reaction from the crowd than he deserved.

agree with you, Becky. There was a reason why the other girl was the lead singer.

Thought he got a good reception based on q's on his personal life, but the crowd were with Tubridy in relation to NAMA etc. Cowen managed to role with the punches and deserves a bit of credit for his personal presentation and how he handled the interview.
He looked a leader last night for the first time in a while.

tuned in last night to see a bit of Tubby ... thought the opening was a bit Tubridy tonight ...

... I was impressed by Cowen (he showed humility for a change) - I think Tubby did a good job asking the questions - but he shouldn't have apologized for asking them ... after that I switched over ... don't think I could stomach more than 20 mins of it ... still it's 20 more than I ever watched of the plank!

Cowen interview was good. Both did really well but he got off lightly on what he is doing to reduce wasteful spending. Brian McF was a good interview.... all other guests were just forgettable.

Was dissappointed to see that he brought that crap band over from the Tubridy Tonight show as the resident Late Late band - thats naff

I thought the Cowen interview was good. The Brian McFadden interview also good but was asking myself the question - does he really want the children? To me he was upset about them but fell short of saying he wanted custody. Says cannot work here because his career is ruined due to bad publicity. Would this be due to bringing out crap songs? Should have stayed with Westlife. Thought the Corr girl was terrible and should keep her mouth shut and stick with the fiddle. David Grey brilliant. Does Tubridy really need that band augmented with brass section etc? What do they cost? Overall it was okay and, love it or hate it, I will probably spend the winter watching it.

I didn't particularly like the old RT show but I thought the late late format was good. The mix of serious and light works well for him. Brian Cowan should do more TV interviews, I think it would help his popularity, He came out fairly sincere and a bit more human. I'll be watching again.

Agree with most of these points. The Cowan interview was good from both sides. I thought Brian McFadden came out terribly, looked like all he cares about is himself, agree he is getting no work here due to standard of his music, Sharon Corr, reason she has not sung lead vocals before. Liked Joan Collins, very entertaining lady. Switched off when Cherie Blair came on, as I cant take to the woman. Liked Mr. Bobble head, David Grey.

Thought Joan Collins was just a vocal version of Hello mag ie. schmoozing with all the big names, all she had in her fridge was vodka & ice cream darling which suited when Marlon Brando use to drop around...... to much b/s.

Thought Joan Collins was just a vocal version of Hello mag ie. schmoozing with all the big names, all she had in her fridge was vodka & ice cream darling which suited when Marlon Brando use to drop around...... to much b/s.

Hello mag is now all now Z rate Zelebs, big brother, etc, Joan quoted the real A listers. I liked her. Will watch again next week. There were good guests.

Enjoyed the Cowen interview. I felt that Tubridy did not give Cowen enough time to reply and kept interupting but otherwise I thought both handled it well.

Saw bits and pieces after that and thought it Tubridy did well and will improve. The Saoirse (?) interview was painful though.

Did not see the 1st show, but all I can say is how can any show be any good when Ryan Turbidy is involved?

Useless presenter.

I only saw the very beginning, when RT walked into the studio. Thought he looked very nervous, but appeared to relax a little when he got a great outpouring of goodwill from the audience.

Tabloid television.
Taoiseach's drinking; pop star's domestic arrangements; memories of faded tv star; ex footballer and his wife; former PM's wife: As in any hello mag or red top?

Back