New kitchen recommendations - Dublin

homeowner

[Mods: can you change the title to "New Kitchen recommendations"]

We are getting our kitchen fully redone in the new year (cabinets, floor, fittings, white goods, walls).

Any recommendations for suppliers, fitters? Is it better to go with a one stop shop or somewhere like B&Q and then get all the fitters ourselves? Our house is a typical 3 bed semi with a small kitchen.

I would like to go with an irish company but if prices up north save us money we are willing to go up there to look.

The main problem I am having at the moment is getting anyone to call me back or to arrange an appointment to come out to the house. I would have thought in the current climate shops would be eager for business but its not the case it seems.

Any recommendations or advice appreciated.

Re: New kitch recommendations - Dublin

Companies may not want to call into your house in the first instance. This costs them time and money and they may be trying to avoid timewasting customers.

They should be prepared to ring you back of course.

If you don't have a design drawn up already then maybe you need an interior designer rather than a kitchen company.. or else a kitchen company which designs your kitchen for you. Many companies, although not all, would charge a fee for producing a design...

Going up North is fine.. it just makes things slightly more complicated if you have problems.. if there are no problems then you should be fine.

B&Q kitchens don't have a great reputation.. (based on threads on AAM).. IKEA might be a goodd choice for you, good prices as far as I know.

Many kitchen companies are finding things hard at the moment...

I dont have design drawings but I do know what I want. I dont personally like the Ikea styles and would prefer to go to 1 place who will organise everything even if it costs a bit more. I dont have much spare time to do the running around myself.

Of the 6 places around Dublin I have called, all have taken my details and said someone will be in touch about an appointment in the new year and no one has called me. Its been about 2 weeks. I understand its coming up to christmas but I can see in the new year having to call all the places again and going through the same thing. Its really frustrating. Since most places are not beside each other its only possible for me to visit them on saturdays so at most I can do 2 per saturday so its easier for me if they come out to the house. I guess they are not hungry for customers.

If anyone has had a good experience with a particular place please let me know.

You're probably going to be moved to the recommendations forum.

If you have an idea of what you want, nearly all of the kitchen places encourage you to go to them as they are set up with showrooms and have the design software in the office rather that traipsing back and forwards and probably not getting hte business on account of the B&Q, Ikea etc.

AFAIK B&Q have inshouse design, bring your measurements, photos and a rough layout (this would apply to Kitchenworld, In-house and probably Cash and Carry) and the designer can work with your ideas and your preferred kitchen fromt heir showroom or brochures.

You will usually pay for the design, a deposit, against your order if your proceed.

Kitchens are very much a personal choice and if you leave it up to kitchen companies to call to you then you will be quite limited in what information is immediatelyavialable. Best to do you online research, find 2 / 3 you like and go to them for design and quotes.

Personally for the 'normal' kitchen I would be looking at Kitchen world or the Panelling Centre / In-House.

We used Tierney Kitchens in Man O'War they were quite good just bring your measurments they done the design etc. A bit pricey (Tuiger Days) don't know if they are still going though.

B&Q are doing an extra 10% off on top of there sale prices for January, must be booked before x-mas i think my friend recently got a kitchen from them and they have really upped there game because of all the negative publicity and she was delighted with the service she got also hearing great things about Tierney's in Balbriggan

Thanks all for the replies. The places I contacted are Tierney, IdealKitchens, Bray Kitchens, KitchenWorld and Peter Bernard Kitchens, mostly because I liked the look of the pictures on their websites. They all seem to sell the same type of kitchens so hopefully I will be able to get some quotes for comparison.

I have had dreadful experiences with B&Q in the past and swore I would never use them again no matter how cheap they are.

Even if you don't get your kitchen there the ikea planner is a good free design tool. Kitchens are good too!

I don't have any experience myself with Tierney Kitchens, but I know that they have gone bust and are now trading under Tierney Kitchen Retail. I know that somebody bought a kitchen 2 years ago and the liquidator is now looking for money of them, apparently it was wrong in the books. But then, there are many people happy with them.

I don't have any experience myself with Tierney Kitchens, but I know that they have gone bust and are now trading under Tierney Kitchen Retail. I know that somebody bought a kitchen 2 years ago and the liquidator is now looking for money of them, apparently it was wrong in the books. But then, there are many people happy with them.

I used Tierney kitchens about 2 years ago and found them excellent. Had no problems what so ever and found their prices very competitive and liked the fact they came and measured themselves (twice). i'd be dissappointed to hear they went bust as if i ever needed a new kitchen i'd defo go back to them.

If you go for an IKEA kitchen be prepared to spend time going back and forth as sometimes certain items are out of stock. You'll also need someone to deliver and install the kitchen.

homeowner,

You say,

I dont have design drawings but I do know what I want. I dont personally like the Ikea styles and would prefer to go to 1 place who will organise everything even if it costs a bit more. I dont have much spare time to do the running around myself.

I think you are two steps away from a kitchen.
I would advise you to retain an interior designer or architect.
Let them do the sourcing and running around checking out materials samples, etc.

Unless you intend to leave the wall and floor finishes as they are, you'll need advice in flooring, tiling, paper, paint colours.
A good interior designer will also compile pricing information on all materials to be used and may be in a position to negotiate a discount.
Of course you can expect to get a kitchen supplier to do all this for you or leave yourself at the mercy of a painter whose friend does tiles - over to you.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

We have decided to go with Cash and Carry kitchens as they have been the best price so far and have taken the time to show us alternative designs and I really like what they have within our budget.

IDK kichens were more like sales men. I felt like they were doing a hard sell saying if I sign now and pay a deposit they'll knock off X amount etc...

Some of the others were too expensive or didnt get back to me with quotes etc....

Hi,
most of the stuff from cash and carry is fine, just make sure you are using a qualified kitchen fitter. Even an expensive kitchen will never be right if it is badly fitted.
The best place on line to find any qulified tradesperson is onlinetradesmen.ie . They are the only ones who use fully qualified trades people, I am a member myself as a fitter in the Cork area and had to send in my actual qualifcations. The other trade web sites are just money making opperations.
Danny

Hi,
The best place on line to find any qulified tradesperson is onlinetradesmen.ie . They are the only ones who use fully qualified trades people, I am a member myself as a fitter in the Cork area and had to send in my actual qualifcations. Danny

I did not know that...good point...good experiences here on the tradesmen site

i do not know why people go to the north for an item such as a kitchen as it is very complex.
1,. There are certain allowances and margins to be factored in when designing a kitchen.
2, Chances are they will not have all the parts in stock
3, Off all the items i will bet 1 will be damaged
4, If it does not look right in the end who do you blame, yourself, the fitter or the shop

I'd give B+Q a miss, ordered a kitchen from them. Founds loads of pieces missing some of the cabinets were damaged and didn't want to know when i rang to enquire about parts missing (a lot of ringing and being put on hold) . Can be cheaper if you get discount in sales but probably not worth hassle.
If i was doing it again i'd go with a local company to do everything as it's a lot of disturbance and best to get it done quickly.
cheers hivas9

Back