New job in Dublin living in England hybrid working

paulfuk

Hope you guys can help?

Currently and planning to stay living in England.

I've been offered a full time role by a Dublin based company. They agreed I can commute and work three days in Dublin and 2 days back at home in England.

The question I have I around tax and NI.

The job is employed and I'm guessing I'll be taxed at source on their PAYE equivalent.

do I fill in a UK tax return aswell? Not paying NI in the Uk will affect my state pension when I retire. How do I recity this?

Paul 50 Newcastle

Are you employed as a PAYE employee of an Irish employer? That's what it sounds like.

HMRC will expect you to pay tax on work that you do in the UK. Your Irish employer would typically either pay you for UK based work from its UK branch or set up a UK branch if it doesn't have one (they may be reluctant to do this for one employee) or use an outsourced payroll solution like IPAYE.

Unfortunately this can all prove a lot more painful than what seemed like an easy decision to let you work at home a couple of days per week.

If you can sort out being paid separately in Ireland and the UK, then there are advantages in getting two sets of personal allowances and lower rate Income Tax bands.

None of this is Gospel, just my understanding from having moved from UK to Ireland some years back and looking at various models that might have worked.

If you are working in Ireland (part-time) and tax resident in the UK, you will be liable for tax on all your income in the UK, however you will receive credit for tax already paid in Ireland. Working on site in Ireland will also require you to pay tax here.

Back