New job: HR requesting existing salary details before interview

panindub

Hi

I sent my CV for a new position, but HR has come back requesting info on my salary and expectations before forwarding to hiring team. I replied with a range and said I needed to know more about roles etc and benefits included with job(it wasn't stated in the posting).

HR has now come back again to me requesting a breakdown of my current salary/benefit package!!

I think this is not fair...I'm I wrong here? If I tell I have no negotiating position, plus I don't want to be ruled out purely on salary as I'm willing to compromise on salary for an interesting job.
Thanks

Confused..pan

Seems silly for HR to insist on this level of detail IMO. Can you email back and explain this to them?

Seems silly for HR to insist on this level of detail IMO. Can you email back and explain this to them?

Exactly my thoughts...I will be emailing them back soon, I was just looking for some advise on how to approach this!
Thanks

I think also that this is unfair for at least three reasons:
1. It may be in breach of your existing agreement to disclose details;
2. It undermines any negotiation position and would possibly act as a barrier to fair interview or discussions;
3. It is not directly relevant to the new role.

3. It is not directly relevant to the new role.
<--- Spot on. The "benefits package" (HR-types mean pay because they know no better) is always broader than the simple extrinsic outcome of being remunerated for having a job / fulfilling a role.

If HR-types knew anything about people (not to mention the design & development of organisations) they would appreciate that people need fulfilment beyond the mere money aspect of a job / role / position / post. These are the intrinsic outcome and are the real reasons people stay in a job.

BTW - tell them get lost until they satisfy your curiosity as to the intrinsic outcomes of having a position in their company.

Back