New Irish mortgage rates are now materially above the EU average

Indeed - the best route to mortgage competition in the Irish market I can see are clearly the non-bank lenders.......but obviously competitive capital market rates need to be available there for the math to work for them......

I dunno the current market structure we have kind of lends itself to stability.........late-cycle as we are now......the non-bank lenders step back but AIB & BOI leverage their funding cost advantage to limit upward flow thru movements in mortgage rates.........early-mid cycle when ECB/capital market rates fall to low-ish leves non-bank lenders come back into the market forcing downward price competition in the mortgage market.

Its a model for relatively low interest rate volatility across the cycle........which would hopefully bring underlying price stability to a housing market that one day might be in equilibrium.....I know we like as Irish people house prices going up or down 10% in a year....makes for a good pub talk....but a boring housing market is the right housing market........low interest rate volatility is one component of that although by no means the only component.

The other advantage of dupoly banks to a certain extent is that given their superior RoTE.....they are less prone to pro-cyclical behaviour.....the most dangerous of which IMO is credit withdrawal during a time of economic weakness (credit binges are dangerous too but they can get regulated away via macro-prudential rules, there exists to my knowledge no regulation that can force banks to make loans in a recession).

The Irish FDI model has enough operational leverage & volatility embedded within it that "letting" two pillars bank earn 15-20% RoTE's a few years out of every ten such that they can act as shock absorbers in the bad times and lend through a recession is again an unpopular opinion but one with some truth to it.

I have campaigned on mortgage rates - I do think that the banks should be stopped from discriminating between new and existing borrowers and from tricking borrowers with gimmicks such as cash back. And mortgages are complicated so it's easy for banks to exploit ignorance or inertia.
Also, a borrower can't simply shop around and get a mortgage in Malta at 2%.

But I have little sympathy for someone getting 0% on €100k in an AIB demand deposit account when it's so easy to get more in an account in another eurozone country.

Brendan
Unlike mortgages, where you really will find it very difficult to find a lender somewhere else in Europe to give you a mortgage for a property in Ireland, generally with deposit accounts you will probably find it possible to find a financial institution who will allow you a deposit or savings account with a better rate.

Unlike mortgages, where you really will find it very difficult to find a lender somewhere else in Europe to give you a mortgage for a property in Ireland, generally with deposit accounts you will probably find it possible to find a financial institution who will allow you a deposit or savings account with a better rate.
That's almost literally what @Brendan Burgess already said on both counts in the post that you quoted and replied to. :confused:

Maybe if mortgages were really secured against the property they were drawn down against there would be more competition the interest rates would be lower. In reality mortgages are unsecured loans as it's almost impossible for Banks to repossess a house in Ireland.

Back