Motor New Ins quote received today & husband crashed car 2 hours later! Help

Irish Spirit

Hi....another insurance dilema...

I was involved in a small accident in Feb, my fault, my ins paid, v straight forward...lost NCB as expected ....all OK.

My ins is up 31/07/2012 and received renewal quote from my ins company today and happy to go with this as by far the cheapest Ive recieved.

However my husband crashed the car this evening...sgl car accident...damage to car...could be write off....will know more 2moro.

I am the policy holder....comprehensive ins...he is named driver with a provisional irish license.

Hope to claim off ins as Ive no NCB anyway.

My Qs are as follows:

1. Will the ins company cover the accident if he is prov license holder and was driving alone?

2. If I make a claim before 31/07/2012 will the quote I received today, to commence 01/08/2012, still stand?

3. We will need a temporary car to get around immediately. Our local garage has said they will help us out with this but obv will have to change ins policy over to this car. This could happen 2moro. Will the ins company do this if theres a claim pending? If we changed and didnt put in claim until a few days later for current car would that jepordise our claim?

We dont want to do anything silly unbeknowns to us, which could end up causing us problems....plus Im due our 2nd baby in less than 2 weeks so this is really the last thing i need right now :-( help!!!

1. Will the ins company cover the accident if he is prov license holder and was driving alone?

2. If I make a claim before 31/07/2012 will the quote I received today, to commence 01/08/2012, still stand?

3. We will need a temporary car to get around immediately. Our local garage has said they will help us out with this but obv will have to change ins policy over to this car. This could happen 2moro. Will the ins company do this if theres a claim pending? If we changed and didnt put in claim until a few days later for current car would that jepordise our claim?

1 -You need to check the small print in the documentation. They might and they might not. It is illegal to drive with no full licence driver beside the provisional driver - so they might have this as a clause which could mean that he is not covered and they wont pay out at all.

2 - I don't think the quote will stand regardless of when you make the claim as the conditions of the original application has changed before policy starts which the insurer could hold against you. If you don't say anything until after the new policy is implemented - if another accident happens after new policy date they might say that the policy is void due to the time to declare updated claims information.

3 - yes they should be able to do this as it should be part of your insurance policy and it should not effect any claims.

Honestly - I think you should just come clean and see what the updated quote is. You can then decide whether to proceed or not. You don't want to be driving around on a void policy.

Thanks aleksandra....I know I will just come clean...my concious wouldnt let me do otherwise.

Do you know does making a claim only affect your NCB discount or is it factored in in other ways? i.e by increasing your renewal premiums.

Just read your post, Irish Spirit. The only advise I can give you is that I know a young lad of 20 who was out driving on his own, having only had a few lessons & has Prov licence.( I don't condone this btw). Had bad RTA. Both cars write off but thankfully no personal injuries. Both parties taken to CUH by ambulance, guards arrived etc. Insurance had no problem paying claim by 3rd party. He had 3rd party ins only.

So thats one thing less to worry about. Guards & insurance paid no heed to the full licence driver rule.

Relax & concentrate on baby!

Irish Spirit, I had a similar problem whereby I had an accident after I was quoted for my next year's insurance. AFAIR they are not allowed to up your premium after quoting (in my case they didn't anyway). I had NCB protection and my insurance actually went down the following year, even though it was a fairly substantial claim.

Irish Spirit, I had a similar problem whereby I had an accident after I was quoted for my next year's insurance. AFAIR they are not allowed to up your premium after quoting (in my case they didn't anyway). I had NCB protection and my insurance actually went down the following year, even though it was a fairly substantial claim.

Of course they can change your price. Its a material fact that has occured prior to the renewal of the policy.

NCB Protection isn't valid here as tha OP has no no-claims bonus so it may just be a straight loading.

Back