New House Alarm

slookie

Following a break in last week, the guards have advised us to get an alarm. They reckon 95% of burglaries don't have house alarms. Anyway, our house was built 2 years ago and all the windows and doors are wired already by the electrician, for an alarm. So can anyone recommend what kind of alarm. Or estimated cost? Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
No suggestions about an installer, just to say that when you do get the alarm fitted tell your Insurer, I think your insurance should be cheaper with an alarm than without.

Sorry mods, can I have this moved back to the original section. Im looking for advice on alarms, more than suppliers. Does anyone know if I need contacts on the windows aswell as the infrared inside? For example, the hall is big open area...would the infrared beams do here, or should I get windows done too? Is there much of a price difference?

Depends on whether the infrared has sight of the window, and/or if the path from the window passes through the infrared. Your fitter will advise you and should be able to explain the logic behind his recommendations. Sensors generally cost about €50 each, fitted, but that's obviously a very rough figure.

No suggestions about an installer, just to say that when you do get the alarm fitted tell your Insurer, I think your insurance should be cheaper with an alarm than without.

I dont think it is worth putting an alarm on your insurance. If you dont have it turned on some will refuse to pay out in a claim plus with an EN50131 alarm if you dont have it serviced once a year then they can also refuse as it is not serviced. It is up to you what you do but that is just my opinion

For the little discount you will receive it is not worth it.

I was thinking of fitting a DIY wireless alarm system. Are these systems any good. Where would i find a good system?

I dont think it is worth putting an alarm on your insurance. If you dont have it turned on some will refuse to pay out in a claim plus with an EN50131 alarm if you dont have it serviced once a year then they can also refuse as it is not serviced. It is up to you what you do but that is just my opinion

For the little discount you will receive it is not worth it.

I would agree here, the ombudsman had a case recently where a guy was working in the front garden, with all doors locked: he was broken into from behind while an accomplice kept him occupied shooting the breeze.

No alarm on, no payment:(

ps just waded through 60 page policy doc from my proposed insured and it says that if alarm conditions not complied with and a claim arises then an additional deductible of euro 315 will apply, which is at least better than nought.

Last edited:
Generally the extra discount you get for EN50131 will not even cover the annual service costs of keeping the system up to that standard.

I was thinking of fitting a DIY wireless alarm system. Are these systems any good. Where would i find a good system?

If fitting an alarm yourself I would stay away from the DIY type. The have no standard to conform to so are just thrown together.

If looking to fit one I would use the likes of HKC, Powermax, or the Signet. All these system are designed to be used in the industry and can be got in most electrical wholesalers who supply alarm systems.

I would agree here, the ombudsman had a case recently where a guy was working in the front garden, with all doors locked: he was broken into from behind while an accomplice kept him occupied shooting the breeze.

No alarm on, no payment:(

ps just waded through 60 page policy doc from my proposed insured and it says that if alarm conditions not complied with and a claim arises then an additional deductible of euro 315 will apply, which is at least better than nought.

That is becoming more common as insurers are looking for ways out of not paying.

Generally the extra discount you get for EN50131 will not even cover the annual service costs of keeping the system up to that standard.

That is correct.

It is always good practice to have your alarm serviced once per year, not just to keep the standard but to make sure the alarm and its components are working correctly. No point have a burglar test it out for you :D

Back