New free market think tank launched - The Hibernia Forum

I think one of the major issues this group will face would be their (derived) association with all that went wrong in the banking crisis. (as mentioned several times here it was actually a bail-out of depositors). Although banking is important, it is only a subset of wider capitalism. Capitalism has a bad name at the moment, again linked to the aforementioned banking crisis, but for better or worse, it is the best known way to lift people out of poverty and to provide opportunity.

Regarding a flat rate of tax, I would be in favour this coupled with a Basic Income. However, politically I don't think it's feasible. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel for someone like Pearse Doherty to proclaim that X percent tax on "the most vulnerable" is a lot tougher than X percent on someone making >100k a year. In addition they would be giving out about someone on 100k a year receiving a basic income. Even if it was brought in there would be changes year on year to make it more "fair" and we'd be back to our welfare payments with a progressive tax system again in no time.

The Chairman, Councillor Keith Redmond, has just announced that he is leaving Fine Gael for Renua.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...r-party-under-kennys-leadership-31593152.html

The councillor has not declared his candidacy for the forthcoming General Election but Renua hope to run him in the five seat Dublin Fingal constituency, where he would take on Children’s Minister James Reilly and Fine Gael TD Alan Farrell.

Brendan

Last edited:
Back