New Dishwasher - things to consider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passport1

Dishwasher has packed up and need to get new integrated one

What sort of things should i be looking out for, considering when buying new dishwasher, apart from getting A rating machine

Thanks

Tow things come ot mind

1) A 30 minute wash
2) good buikld quality inside. I didn't think of this and the racks etc are flimsy and you cant pack it very well

One thing I never thought to check is that it fits your dinner plates. With the one I got the rotating arm hits off the dinner plates if you put them in facing outwards. You have to put them in "backwards" (facing the back fo the machine) so that they slant a bit more and the rotating arm isn't obstructed. So bring one of your dinner plates to the showroom!

One thing I never thought to check is that it fits your dinner plates. With the one I got the rotating arm hits off the dinner plates if you put them in facing outwards. You have to put them in "backwards" (facing the back fo the machine) so that they slant a bit more and the rotating arm isn't obstructed. So bring one of your dinner plates to the showroom!

This is probably something you have done so apologies if so. Have you checked that your top basket is on the higher runner? There are usually 2 runners/wheels on the top basket so that its height can be adjusted. We had same problem for ages until someone told us about it.

If you have an abundance of hot water in your house, then maybe look into plumbing it to use hot water rather than cold.

Also, look at the internal layout and cutlery drawer. Check this works for you and isn't too restrictive.

I'd love a timer to put it on when there is no one home.
Adjustable racks are vital unless you have 12 people for dinner each using a cup, small plate and large plate!

This is probably something you have done so apologies if so. Have you checked that your top basket is on the higher runner? There are usually 2 runners/wheels on the top basket so that its height can be adjusted. We had same problem for ages until someone told us about it.

Webbs, I haven't tried that, never thought of it, will do it as soon as I get home - thank you!!

Alas, I checked this when I went home and the upper rack is not adjustable at all (I'd already checked the lower one). So I repeat my original advice - bring a dinner plate to the showroom! (Thanks anyway Webbs)

A feature we've had in our last two dishwashers which we would always look for is either removable or collapsable plate racks on the bottom - makes it much easier to do a lot of big items like pots and pans - they are stacked on a flat base rather than trying to squish them around the plate-holder prongs. Hard to find though...

I had a Hotpoint Dishwasher for about 12 years, never gave any trouble. Bought a new one, usually do a lot of research on these things but thought I'll buy it locally and went and got a Whirlpool, never again, cycles take forever and the layout is anything but user friendly. Oh for a Hotpoint!

I know this may sound daft but check the colour of the inside racks.
We have had dishwashers for the past 20 years (not the same one) but always integrated, however, the last one we bought we got online n delivered to the home, when it was installed n opened up the Mrs was really upset that the inside plastic coating on the racks were grey instead of white!!! Shock Horror!!
I didn't quite see the problem but OH complains about it at least once a week that the pots don't ''look'' as clean!!
T

second the hotpoint, although washing machine when only three years and two months old died, hence I found this website.

Fast wash brillant, really removes dried on stains,

adjustable/foldable plate racks. my upper tray has an attachment to hold knifes etc flat that when in you cant fit in large cups/glasses so handy to be able to take out.

I know of a dishwasher where the cutlery carrier is not removable (i know I always remove the whole carrier to put away the cutlery).

Sister in law has an expensive two drawer type dishwasher that doesnt tell you when the cycle is finished, you have to open the door to check (and yes she got hit with spray once at the start). Mine has a flashing light and a few beeps to say end.

how far in is the holder for the salt-mine right at the back so not v ergonomically designed.

We have a Hotpoint Aquarius and it's fantastic - collapsible bottom racks, movable cutlery holder and an extra dry feature which is worth it's weight in gold. And it's as quiet as a mouse.

Think I would consider either an Indesit, Cannon or Creda (all the same company)
but they now come with a lifetime parts warranty, so in even for part failure is
something like 100 euro for the service visit and parts are free (seem pretty fair to
me)

I have a Bosch and it is great - 30 minute timer - collapsable rack on the bottom, removable cutlery tray. Beeps to tell you it is finished. Also, very solidly built. My sister has a hotpoint (dont know how old it is) and she commented on how noisy it is compared to mine.

I was looking at a Bosch Classixx slimline dishwasher today and can't figure where to put the cutlery box that wont block the plate racks. Anyone used one?

7 or so years in a house putting the large plates in back to front restricting the space for them. And then I read this. Why do I feel a little stoopid. lol. Thanks Webbs. For the advice and humiliation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back