New Commerical vehical tax

It would appear to me that any efforts to increase the tax burden on business particularly the small and sole trader level would be extremley unadvisable in the current economic climate.

Most small businesses that I know of are really struggling to keep the doors open and keep their staff employed I would think that a move in the other direction would make more sense, free road tax for exclusive business use and a half full rate for duel commercial and private use. This would have to coincide with an adjustment in the insurance offered by insurance companies so that your insurance was invalid if you had the incorrect tax category.

I would also be in favour of all road tax being levied at the pump.

Free road tax for exclusive business use and a half full rate for duel commercial and private use.==> sounds fair and reasonable but can you see it happening

I would also be in favour of all road tax being levied at the pump. ==> totally agree and it would go with the adage the Greens are always throwing at us that the polluter pays. Again, I can't see it happening.

Yeah ... I'm a great role model, I'm on par with the rest - bankers, politicians, criminals etc.

I presume during your long summer holidays that you change your motor tax from commercial to private?

Also whilst paying motor tax through the pump is a perfect example of 'polluter pays' and would be an ideal solution, the problem is that it would send our inflation rate through the roof, it's really an area where either an EU wide solution is required or a change to the rules on inflation.

Good presumption.

I race to the tax office, change over and then race back again at the end of the long summer holidays to change back again.

And, of course, don't forget the other breaks - Mid Term, Christmas, Easter, Holy Days of Obligation, half days, quarter days, three quarter days, snow bound days etc.

It's great for keeping the fitness up!

Good to see a proper moral authority being passed on to the youth of today.

I've no problem with teachers holidays, I know they do a very hard job and like you many of them do unpaid work but that doesn't excuse flouting the law which is what you are doing, the fact that you are trying to fool yourself into thinking that you're compliant because you have a couple of shelves in the back of your jeep once in a blue moon is worrying.

and the drill, the screwdriver, the level and the rawl plugs

Regardless .... I have to head off to school now .... shelving and such to put up.

Regardless .... I have to head off to school now .... shelving and such to put up.

Don't forget to write off the petrol for tax. Actually your accountant should sort that out for you :)

Is there any teaching at all in that school or is it just a cover for a builders providers?:)

Oh brilliant!!!! /sarcastic

As if it wasn't enough that my car ('07 hatchback) is worth nothing because:

1. the same model now sells for 6k less (new) due to the changed VRT
2. nobody will take it off me because my annual road tax is €456 vs. €156 for an '08 or newer one

all thanks to Mr. Gormley BUT now we (my husband, a struggling, small business owner and I) should buy another car to use instead of his commercial 4x4 in case he needs to run down to the shop for a pint of milk when I am out. Or God forbid our baby getting sick or having to be taken to A&E by his dad while I am out on my own.

Do you think that Mr. Gormley ever took into consideration the carbon footprint of manufacturing yet another (unnecessary) car which he seems to want thousands of people to buy?

Is tax compliance one of your conditions of employment? Maybe you should check.

Does anyone know if this applies to taxis?
I know taxi drivers pay less motor tax, presumably because it is a commercial vehicle.
Does this mean taxi drives would need a second car to do their non-work related driving. Sounds crazy.

A lot of posters seem to think that if this (existing) regulation is enforced, then it will involve buying a second car for private use.

Why would anyone consider this, when all that needs to be done is to tax the existing vehicle privately, as this is partly what it is being used for?

Does anyone know if this applies to taxis?
I know taxi drivers pay less motor tax, presumably because it is a commercial vehicle.

There is a special taxi tax class.

It is less than €90pa

A declaration is only needed once.

The "declarations of non use" will probably be the next to go.

now we (my husband, a struggling, small business owner and I) should buy another car to use instead of his commercial 4x4.

No. if the vehicle is to be used for non-commercial purposes, all you need to do is pay road tax at the appropriate rate.

in case he needs to run down to the shop for a pint of milk when I am out. Or God forbid our baby getting sick or having to be taken to A&E by his dad while I am out on my own.

My wife and I have one car between us. If, God forbid, I had to bring our child to the hospital while she was out, I'd have to get a taxi. If you're not prepared to pay road tax at the higher rate, couldn't you do that too? As for the pint of milk, I'd do without till she got back.

No road tax in Ireland, hurray.Where do posters get that from?

The hint is in the name www.motortax.ie ;)
And the motor tax you pay isn't even guranteed that it'll be spent on roads. It's all combined with other taxation

For certain there are families out there who have expensive 4x4's taxed as commerical. And the only use they'll ever see is the wife driving to the shops and soccer practice.
That is what this rule is supposed to crack down on.

But it seems to have caught everyone else in it too.
It's not going to be enforced anyway

No. if the vehicle is to be used for non-commercial purposes, all you need to do is pay road tax at the appropriate rate.

My wife and I have one car between us. If, God forbid, I had to bring our child to the hospital while she was out, I'd have to get a taxi. If you're not prepared to pay road tax at the higher rate, couldn't you do that too? As for the pint of milk, I'd do without till she got back.

95% of the time, my husband uses his car for work so how do you pay appropriate rate of tax in that case? 95% commercial and 5% private? Not everyone is evading tax and it would be very unfair to tax a tradesman for a small private usage the same amount as a poser who simply had to have a 4x4 but doesn't really need it. We have a friend who has a commercial 4x4 (was substantially cheaper to buy than the non-commercial one) and the most he'd transport for work is his laptop bag and a mobile phone. By the same token, should any vehicle provided by the business be treated as a commercial? Or is that why those who have a company car have to pay BIK on their personal mileage?

95% of the time, my husband uses his car for work so how do you pay appropriate rate of tax in that case? 95% commercial and 5% private? Not everyone is evading tax and it would be very unfair to tax a tradesman for a small private usage the same amount as a poser who simply had to have a 4x4 but doesn't really need it. We have a friend who has a commercial 4x4 (was substantially cheaper to buy than the non-commercial one) and the most he'd transport for work is his laptop bag and a mobile phone. By the same token, should any vehicle provided by the business be treated as a commercial? Or is that why those who have a company car have to pay BIK on their personal mileage?

The vehicle is either being used for social, domestic and personal purposes or it's not. It's difficult enough to police this straightforward option without getting into the muddy area of proportional use.

Back