new changes to fis

kim

Hi just wondering is anyone aware of the new changes to fis?, a guy in work has a 5 yr old with an ex (not married) and he was getting fis last year, when he re applied this year he got a letter stating that it was disallowed because he was not wholly maintaining his expartner and child so he rang the FIS section and the girl in the office told him that new changes came in last April 09,and that because she has an income he is not entitled to claim fis, he is paying 100 a week for the child and is not obliged to support her as he was not married to her, can anyone shed any light on it as we are confused? does that mean you have to be a couple now to claim fis? there is nothing of the SW website to explain these new changes?

" is not obliged to support her "

Hope you mean the ex-partner.

If the child resides with him he would be entitled to claim FIS I think.

Is'nt FIS based on family income where the child resides full-time and meanstested on total household income. Does the child live with the mother, then I think the mother is entitled to claim FIS if her income is below €500 approx per week. Whats the living arrangements? If they all live to-gether then both incomes are assessed.

Here's the relevant paragraph from FIS on SW website which may explain why the person doesn't qualify:

Paying maintenance
If you are a separated parent and paying maintenance you may qualify for FIS. To qualify you must be wholly or mainly maintaining the parent with whom the children are living.

If I read the OP correctly, the child lives with its mother, who is working (or has an independent income). The mother is not supported by the father of the child so he can't claim FIS in this situation. The mother may be eligible if she meets the qualifying criteria.

yes I meant the ex partner! she has her own house he is renting at the moment, he has the child every second weekend, he applied for FIS in Jan 09 and was told he was entitled to it and now all of a sudden he isnt,he had to prove he was paying maintenance when he first applied and give the address where the child lived but we are just curious to know what is the new rule that came in since last April?

Thanks for the replies, gipimann thanks for pointing out where it said that.

For an unmarried parent prior to the changes in April 09 a claimant could reduce their means by the amount of the maintenance paid to the other parent for child maintenance. Since April 09 a claimant can't do that and the full of their income is assessed as means for FIS. Whether or not they have a court order doesn't make a difference.

For a separated parent who is paying spousal maintenance they can still continue to reduce their means by the amount of maintenance paid when claiming FIS.

Interestingly you cannot claim FIS when paying spousal maintenance if the recipient is already claiming another social welfare payment. E.g. you cannot claim FIS if your ex-wife/husband is already claiming Lone Parent's Payment or is claiming jobseekers benefit with a qualified child increase. Social welfare view it that you can only claim once per person/child.

Back