New Build......how much?

seanied

We are currently looking at a few site in the south kildare area and we are just trying to get approx price of building a 2500sqft house. The price a few friends have told us vary dramatically. I know wihtout exact plans etc it is hard to estimate but we are just looking ball park figure.

What are the approx estimated cost of building a house of this size?
and which would be cheaper Timber frame or block build?

Re: New Built......how much?

Its all relevant.....

If you were to pay a building contractor for a turn key finish, plus all associated professional fees, council fees etc..... your starting point for a basic builders spec could be €120-€130 per sq ft

Come down to Carlow and get a building contractor who does one off houses and you could get it done for around €80-€100 per sq ft

Then allow €2,500 to €3,500 for drawings planning permission lodgment and another €500 for perculation test, then council fee's would be around €8000 I think for Kildare.

Shop around outside your area, people are starting to look for work rather than having the pick of what they want.

Just started near Naas 2900 sq ft. The council have € 14,787 in the coffers for Development fees!!! Our quotes ranged from €80 -€120 per Sq Ft depending on spec.

When people quote say €80 or €100 for a builders quote this will generally not include
Flooring
Kitchen
Sewage system (septic, bioflo etc)
hooking up to sewage system
ESB hook up (nearly 2k)
and other little things like painted walls, extra plugs, any sort of fill for a road/drive up tp the house

Also, if you have to go a bit further into the ground than is the norm for your foundations the builder will add on the extra cost for cencrete, blocks, infill and labour. It's not a trying to get you with unexpected costs, it's just that an extra cost will geuinley have occured....

There are an awful lot of variables never mind whether you go for €12 a sqm kitchen tile or a €50 a sqm tile. You can get roof tiles for 85c each or go natural slate for over €3. There are literally thousand of ways you can treble your cost in every single area of the build!

i think i'm getting ripped off with most of the quotes i've received from building contractors so far...new build in north county dublin, nothing special about it, so should be no difficulty building, and have gotten several quotes from 135 to 157 per sqf!!! i thought all these guys were looking for work!! either that or they think i'm a soft touch because i'm female...am now feeling very discouraged by all these contractors and am seriously thinking of going direct labour.

i have! i've gotten quotes from co. meath builders and these were amongst the highest. rang builders in dundalk,laois,carlow who weren't prepared to travel! i dunno. as i said seriously disillusioned with the lot of them.

I am in a position to help her but this site does not allow commercial items to be posted and I cannot pm her as she does not allow it.

Come down to Carlow and get a building contractor who does one off houses and you could get it done for around €80-€100 per sq ft

Then allow €2,500 to €3,500 for drawings planning permission lodgment and another €500 for perculation test, then council fee's would be around €8000 I think for Kildare.

Shop around outside your area, people are starting to look for work rather than having the pick of what they want.

What about your BER label and air presure test?

Joejoe

You dont need to either unless you intend selling the house straight away.

incorrect.

you need a BER if you applied for planning after 1st january 2007.

lots of people dont realise this.....
its required at the point of occupancy, sale or rent.

We are currently looking at a few site in the south kildare area and we are just trying to get approx price of building a 2500sqft house. The price a few friends have told us vary dramatically. I know wihtout exact plans etc it is hard to estimate but we are just looking ball park figure.

What are the approx estimated cost of building a house of this size?
and which would be cheaper Timber frame or block build?

Getting back to the original posters question:

There are alot of questions to be answered prior to even getting ball park figures. You may find your approx. estimated cost is not as approximate when you get a quotation from your builder. I would suggest that you get a few quotations from builders. Shop around...plenty of builders out there now to take on such a one off house....Construction Industry is quite

Difficult to say whether timberframe or blockwork is cheaper

Advantages with timber frame: Easy to construct, built faster, environmentally friendly,
Disadvantages with timber frame: Timber frame designer required, correct onsite storage of timbers is critical, site supervision critical for correct detailing etc, restricted to a timber 1st floor,
Advantages with blockwork: Choice of timber/solid 1st floor. Easier to also use steel beams to form larger opes etc. From the grapevine I hear that brickies are cutting the price to lay a block.
Disadvantages with blockwork: Slower to erect, not environmentall friendly

Perhaps you should also check out the type of foundations that you require ie. typical strip footings, raft, piles etc.

Best of luck

Personally I am a fan of the old bricks & mortar style house. I have been building by direct labour with the last two years and just closed off the house last week with the windows. I prefer to leave things settle a bit.

I am in a position to help her but this site does not allow commercial items to be posted and I cannot pm her as she does not allow it.

Which sounds like advertising or offering of your own services, which is not allowed on AAM regardless of whether it is posted or sent via PM.
Leo

Which sounds like advertising or offering of your own services, which is not allowed on AAM regardless of whether it is posted or sent via PM.
Leo

The poster has asked for advice / reccommendations which is the whole idea of this forum. If I was to post the details directly to the forum it would be blocked as ot is not allowed.

Your problem with me offering advice is what exactly?

this thread may be of use.... http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=56039. I have spoken to my architect and he has said approx 130 for high spec but would probably get away with 110. This is to get the house built to a good standard, with decent insulation, air tightness etc. Added to this is council(10k?), architect(10k?), landscaping(5k?), driveway(5K?),garage(20k?). Then furniture etc. For 2500 sq ft house. this would be 275,000 for the build + 50k for miscellaneous + 20 or 30k to furnish. = approx 355,000 to be completely finished. To build a Bungalow is typically 10% more expensive per sq ft. I am only starting out now and this is all second hand information, so dont know if this is accurate but I have been advised to budget for this anyway.

The poster has asked for advice / reccommendations which is the whole idea of this forum. If I was to post the details directly to the forum it would be blocked as ot is not allowed.

Your problem with me offering advice is what exactly?

I have no problem with you offering advice, as you say, that is what AAM is all about. Indeed, you are more than welcome to do so. However, advertising your own service is not quite the same thing, and the posting guidelines are quite clear in stating that advertising is not allowed.

Recommendations are also welcome, but these must be independent.
Leo

Back