New Build - Home entertainment system

airgead07

Hi

I am currently in the middle of a self build, electrician has done first fix.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to work we could get done now on home entertainment systems like surround sound etc before the internal insulation is done?

Thanks

If you plan on having say wall mounted flat screen tv's, the best advice I could give would be to run some ducting or sizeable conduit between the tv position and where you plan to have your entertainment systmes (dvd, sky box etc.). Then you could pull through what every cables you would then need.
In terms of surround sound, alot of systems don't necessarily need rear projecting speakers........but if you plan on having these, then plan for the rear speaker positions and either chase out the concrete floor to cater for some ducting/conduit/cable for same. There are other options, like hiding cables behind skirting boards or through stud walls if this is an option

Ooo if you had the money you could do sooo much.

Cat 5 cabling, central vacuum system, a built in whole house stereo system, a CCTV security system ..

Google "advanced wiring new builds home entertainment" to get some providers and they will happily give you ideas and quotations.

I'm currently rennovating and extending my house. For multi room audio I've decidied to go with Sonos. It allows you to have several music "zones", kitchen, sitting room, etc. Each zone can be independent or they can all play the same music, its hooked up to the internet aswell for radio/napster type stuff, all in all, I'm quite excited by it!:D For 2 zones , hardware and wiring, inc speakers (6), will cost approx me 2,000. Pricey enough but it's slick... This includes wiring for 3 extra zones, which I'll add in next year or so. Google Sonos.

Back