New Broadband - Laptop will not connect correctly.

gocall01

Hi,

Just got my new Vodafone broadband box.
It's all hooked up but I cannot get my old Toshiba laptop connected to it.
The laptop is running Windows Vista (said it was old).
It was working fine in the morning when connected to the old broadband router.
I've done the usual reboot, making sure the wireless is set to on etc.

My wife's new laptop, iPad and iPhone all connected and operated as normal once the security key was entered.

I have looked through older postings but I can't find anything offering a solution.
If anyone on here has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

I presume it has to be something with my laptop as all other devices are connecting.

Thanks,
Ger.

Is the laptop even "seeing" the new router's WiFi network?

A bit more info would be useful, ie. what you have tried so far and how far you are getting when the laptop attempts to connect and what messages you get when it fails?

Yes, sorry about the lack of info, a little unsure of myself in this area.

I connected the laptop directly with the Ethernet cable and all worked fine.
I go to Connect to a network and the Vodafone-6FE3 is visible.
I press the Connect button and it says Successfully connected to Vodafone-6FE3.
However, when looking at the network icon at the bottom right hand corner there is no connection.
In the Network and Sharing Centre the computer shows as being connected to the unidentified network but the network is not connected to the Internet.
It also says the Signal strength is Excellent.

When I launch a web browser with google.ie as home page it times out.

Hope that helps,
Ger

Try deleting or "forgetting" the wifi network (usually under "Manage Wifi Connections" in the Network and Sharing screen) and then scan and try and connect again.

Try deleting or "forgetting" the wifi network (usually under "Manage Wifi Connections" in the Network and Sharing screen) and then scan and try and connect again.
Cheers, will try that and let you know how it goes later.

I had the same problem with a Vista laptop. It turned out it was a problem with Vista and the security standard... you could try and set WPA as the encryption standard.

Deleted 20+ wifis, reset everything, no good.
The encryption is set to WPA as it stands.
I have noticed that I can connect to the in-laws wifi which is not password protected but cannot connect to my parents wifi which is.
I will try to turn off the wifi password for this new box and see where we go.

Could try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935222

Surprised this hasNt installed automatically - I don't know Vista but presume it auto updates like the other windows? Probably best to connect via cable and run Windows Update to download and install all the latest updates (hopefully including this one). Could take a while if you've not done this before but will make your computer better (not to mention safer) to use as bugs like this are fixed.

Could try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935222

Surprised this hasNt installed automatically - I don't know Vista but presume it auto updates like the other windows? Probably best to connect via cable and run Windows Update to download and install all the latest updates (hopefully including this one). Could take a while if you've not done this before but will make your computer better (not to mention safer) to use as bugs like this are fixed.

Thanks for this.
My computer does update automatically and just did so yesterday morning.
I will check if this patch was included and might just put it on either way to be sure.
Updates later...

Downloaded the hot fix as described above.
Started the installation and it said it was not applicable, so I presume it is either not required or already installed, included in yesterdays patch release.

NEXT...

Last edited:
Back