new boots letting in water

shopgirl

Brand new boots which cost €120 let in water the first day I wore them. They let in both at the soles and across the top of the boots. As the boots are clearly not fit for purpose can I ask for a refund and not have to accept a replacement pair. They are a type of walking boot not fancy high heels!

I had a similar complaint to yours many moons ago. When I returned to the shop the owner told me no leather shoes are waterproof. If I wanted waterproof shoes I should have bought Aqua Skips or wellingtons

When I was younger I remember leather shoes and boots were much better at resisting water. Maybe because there were polished a lot more, or the leather was better quality. I've certainly had problems with water in some recent shoes and boots. Some I've nicknamed puddle suckers, they are so bad. The problem with waterproof footwear for me is they can be very hot on your feet.

I would say it's something of a grey area. The test is essentially fitness of purpose OK.

I suspect most people would say boots should keep you dry when exposed to normal rain showers and damp streets, but unless sold as specifically waterproof would most would not expect them to protect you when wading through up to your knees in deep puddles or flood waters (I'm not suggesting you were doing this, by the way, just pointing to the extreme). The question of course is where does one end and the other begin?

One thing I would do is take them back immediately, as not doing so implies a degree of acceptance. Depending on where you got them, you could well be in for an argument, though.....

What brand/ model are the boots? Were they sold as waterproof?

A lot of trail shoes and boots are designed to drain well, so as to keep feet ventilated in dry conditions, or to drain excess water in deluge conditions, they are deliberately not waterproof.

In very wet conditions, even wearing gaiters may not keep you 100% dry in waterproof boots. If I'm doing something very long in wet conditions, I'll often go with non-waterproof footwear as waterproof boots will lose all breathability as the exterior becomes waterlogged, and between the sweat build-up and water coming in over the tops, you're better off with damp, rather than waterlogged feet. Staves off trenchfoot for longer. Merino socks help too, as does covering feet with sudocrem.

Brand new boots which cost €120 let in water the first day I wore them. They let in both at the soles and across the top of the boots. As the boots are clearly not fit for purpose can I ask for a refund and not have to accept a replacement pair. They are a type of walking boot not fancy high heels!

If you want boots that will keep feet dry in wet weather you need to buy either wellingtons or gortex / other waterproof membrane boots. "Walking Boots" are not waterproof unless stated. Leather is a natural material and in many cases it is stitched to the sole - if you use these in wet weather, water will get in both in the stitching and through the leather.

If you walk regularly, I'd have 2 pairs of boots - one that is gortex and totally waterproof and one that is lower price, but ideal for dry conditions.

Last edited:
Back