New apartment - water pump very loud

buttonmoon

I've recently moved into a new apartment and, as in most apartments (I think), we have a water pump that kicks in everytime a tap or shower is turned on or a toilet flushed.

This is not a problem during the day but at night time when you flush it sounds like somebody is hoovering in the storage room/hotpress.

I know the best solution is to buy a better (i.e. quieter) pump but don;t know how much this would cost.

I was thinking maybe we could just put the pump on a timer so it wont turn on say after 11 o'clock. The boiler should have enough water for 24 hours in it in case of an electricity failure so it should be alright. Only thing is the pump connects straight to a little junction box would have to get a sparks to try and change it into a socket.

Do you know if it's possible or sensible to do this or could turning the pump on and off all the time affect it somehow. Are there any other ideas that might help?

Hi,

There should be a switch in your hotpress to turn the pump on and off. You really only need to have it on when using the washing machine or having a shower. Apparently they are quite hard on electricity so it s a lot more cost effective to only use pump when necessary. Depending on the model a decent pump should last at least five years. Switching it on and off as necessary doesn't harm it - quite the opposite I suspect - will help prevent wear and tear and prolong its working life.

Gd luck in the new apt.

Back