New Apartment,My Dogs! I need your valuable advice.

Caro32

I am thinking of buying an apartment. I have two small dogs, they are quiet and only bark when they get excited and they are also housetrained. Would you reccomend that I buy the apartment or do you think I will have trouble!

You need to check the lease for the management company. Some have specific rules about which animals may be kept there.

Also, are you confident they won't bark when (if) you leave them alone? In an apartment that could get terribly annoying for your neibours.

Many apt. complexes do not allow pets. If the apt you are thinking of buying doesn't allow pets and you bring them anyway, please remember many apts have very little sound insulation. Its usually not a big problem unless your neighbour does shift work and the dogs get excited etc. If you are breaking a condition of the lease, your neighbours will be entitled to have the dogs removed from the apt. I'm saying this as I'm assuming you are attached to your pets?

If your complex does allow for pets, are you thinking of buying an apt with its own door and secure garden area? Without these I can't imagine two very happy little dogs.

Thanks for the replies guys, As I said the dogs are housetrained. Im confident enough they do not bark when they are alone unless someone was banging on the door. At the moment I live in a house with my partner, we both work, the dogs stay in the kitchen during that time. They are taken out in the morning and the evening. Some people may not agree with me having them in the house all day, but they seem happy to me. My partner has a couple of days off during the week and I dont work at the weekend so its not constant that they are alone. I dont really know the ins and outs of the apartment because I have yet to view it.

Regardless of how well behaved you think your dogs are, it's not fair to them or your neighbours to keep them in an apartment.

As someone else said, check the development rules about pets, 2 units where I live had to get rid of their dogs because they never read the sales or lease agreement the signed which do not allow dogs!

Not all apartments ban pets. There's a big difference between keeping your dogs in most of the time and all of the time though. Do you currently let them out to pee? I moved from a house to an apartment with a cat, she was very confined and shedded everywhere constantly. If your dogs only go outside on their walks then it shouldn't be a problem though. As for barking, don't buy an apartment where the soundproofing isn't excellent, then it won't be an issue.

More often than not pets, (in particular dogs as they are more likely to make noise) are banned, or you need prior approval.

One of the apartments on floor below and opposite me has a dog, I've only heard it barking a couple of times when walking past her door, but the apartments have service spaces between each apartment so not much noise. Direct neighbours seem fine with it.

Are you looking for ground floor apartment with a garden? If so you should bear in mind that many people have a (somewhat irrational) dislike of ground floor apartments, so selling might be more difficult.

As the owner of two small dogs who are in a similar position to yours, I think you would be better off with a house if you can afford it. Even when you're at home in an apartment, the dogs can't go out without you whereas if its a sunny day and you're off you're dogs can be out in a garden on their own. As you know , very small dogs don't need lots of walking but really do enjoy running around a garden. With animals, I think you'd be better to have an older semi-d , some of those have decent gardens.

Yes, as I said, they are let out in the morning and have an evening walk. I would love a ground floor apartment but I think the ones we are viewing are first floor which I suppose is not ideal but nevertheless I would love my own place. I could get a house out of dublin but this apartment is in dublin and it would be grand re work etc. Anyway thanks for all the replies.

Back