Neighbours Tree Blocking Light and Causing a Danger

L O L

Does anyone know what you can do in this situation. Our Neighbour has a massive Monkey Puzzle Tree (approx 25') in their back garden. Obviously it blocks a lot of light from all the surrounding gardens.

However, their kids also have a tree house half way up it, which means there is often several kids hanging out, and looking into all the gardens.
Now I know kids will be kids, but I don't think it's very fair that my families enjoyment of our garden is spoiled by gangs of kids shouting in at me and my family. There is also the safety issue as the kids are often on the walls and climbing on our shed.

The question is what to do to get a successful outcome. I don't think going round all guns blazing will be very productive. I mean, parents who quite happily let their kids and their friends climb halfway up this tree ( I've seen kids as young as 5) are hardly going to see my side of the story.

Sorry for rambling, but I don't want to see another Summer ruined by this. Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks a million.

Planning legislation in Ireland doesn't make any particular provision regarding either right to light, or remeding right to light claims concerning overhanging trees.

Complaints about overhanging trees, blocking out light, shrubs overhanging a property are normally remedied under the civil law system.

Before you get that far however - it is always wise to exhaust all over avenues before proceeding down the legal route. I might suggest approaching your neighbours regarding the situation and see how you get on. It would be worthwhile stressing the dangers posed to the children hanging out of the treehouse, the danger of accidents, etc.

If this fails - then I'd suggest you consult a solicitor and obtain legal advice. Your nearest Citizen Information Centre can provide information on the next FLAC (free legal advice evening). You can then receive free advice from a trained legal professional on the matter.

CMCR

Copper nails are known to good for this type of problem. It will sort it out within 6 months.

Back