neighbours from hell

Maybe a few good barking dogs who do there barking at night hours angled towards their house.

I'm sure there must be some way of doing it. Nothing is impossible, as the saying goes where theres a will-theres a way !!!!!

How do you train a dog to bark at a particular angle? :confused:

Have you ever seen Lassie, turner and hooch, K-9? I think they call it dog training and it happens at dog training schools. Although I'm not a dog training expert or anything.

when they go off to sleep - which will prob be the time you head to work then put on some anti-music really loud - such as Big Tom, Daniel O'Donnell, Richie Kavanagh etc.

(only kidding of course - but a really nice thought all the same!)

Many years ago my neighbours did this to me the morning after a spectacularly successful but very loud very late very drink fuelled party. daniel O'Donnell at top volume from about 10am onwards. At first I thought the neighbours just had brutal taste in music but as the solpadeine began to work I realised that what I was hearing was the sweet sound of revenge..a dish best served when your party going neighbours are nursing the mother of all hangovers

Have you a management company? We have a flat rented out and when some of the tenants were making noise at night the management company phoned us and we phoned the tenants to say we had received complaints and there was no further trouble.

What they are doing is illegal. I will try to find some useful links for you and post them later. My neighbours are totally inconsiderate and have driven me mad for years but for the sake of peace I have just sucked it up. However they now have got a yappy little dog that is finally making me lose my mind and I'm researching the best way to deal with it.

This quote I found somewhere is keeping me going, at least I know it's not unreasonable for me to be irritated by my neighbours' ongoing noise!

Under Section 51 of the Local Government Act 1963 it is an offence to make any noise or variation which is so loud, continuous or repeated or at such time as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to neighbours. It also provides for procedures for securing the abatement of the noise.

Sorry guys, you slagged off my responses and yet nobody has posted to say that going down the proper channels sorted the problem. From what I'm reading ripping a cd player off the wall and playing Daniel O D when they're nursing a hangover is all that has worked.
Do yourself a favour and hire out a drum kit for the weekend or better still bag pipes.

I've had a look at environ.ie and here's a http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/NoisePollution/ (link) re Noise Polllution. It says what to do in the case of rented properties. Basically, complain to the PRTB if it's privately rented, or to the local authority if it's not.

If the house is privately owned then "the person experiencing the noise nuisance will have to avail of the remedy provided under the http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/NoisePollution/EnvironmentalNoiseRegulations2006/ (Noise Regulations)whereby any individual person, or a local authority, may complain to a District Court seeking an Order to deal with the noise nuisance."

For anyone interested in what to do about intruder alarms causing a problem, the advice is: "Noise nuisance caused by alarms on a domestic property should first be notified to the occupiers of the property inv2olved and then, if necessary, be treated as a neighbourhood noise nuisance problem.

This document http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/NoisePollution/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1319,en.pdf (here) is Enfo's Guide to the Noise Regulations.

Initially it seems to be recommended that just having a word with the "offender" may solve the problem, but I don't believe that this works very often. I know of loads of situations where speaking nicely to someone had no effect.

Personally, I spoke to some renters on my road one and explained that I could hear their music inside my house even with double glazed windows closed. They apologised profusely and turned up the music even louder when I left. Someone else then knocked on the door and didn't get an answer. So I phoned the letting agency on the Monday and complained to them. No effect, so I phoned the letting agency again 2 days later and told them I was not giving up on this and that I and all the other neighbours affected would keep ringing them until it stopped. Two other neighbours phoned them that same day, saying the same thing, and then we got a result. But it took a concerted effort on the part of several people to get a small group of people to stop driving their neighbours crazy.

In another situation a house behind me had their house alarm going all day long on a beautiful summer's day, rendering my back garden entirely useless (it was one of those screamer sirens). So I popped in a polite note in their letterbox, said that their alarm had caused a problem and perhaps they would leave a key with a neighbour. I signed the letter. A few days later the alarm went off again and obviously no-one had been given the key. So I wrote a less polite letter, not rude but strongly worded. Alarm started a few days later and I went around and took video, and popped in another letter saying I had noted the times the alarm had gone off and had video evidence to back it up and that I would take a case to the District Court if it didn't stop. Finally there was a result, the alarm hasn't gone off since.

I don't think it's right that people have to go to these lengths to sort out a noise problem, in both the cases above I was nervous about the reaction I would get, you hear of people being assaulted for no good reason.

OP, you've done the talking to them, I think the only option now is to go to the District Court. Good luck, it's terrible to be miserable in your own home because of neighbours.

Whats going all with all these crazy suggestions?

There is a thing called the Anti Social Behavioural order to prevent people from causing a nuisance to the general public.

You have what is known as a civil issue with your neighbours as oppossed to a criminal issue so the Gardai will not do anything unless ordered to by the courts.

In your case the only way to proceed is to apply to the County Sheriff and have a sound Engineer or a structural engineer survey the noise for you. I understand they wont do a call out at 2am on a Friday night/Saturday morning. They will leave the equipment for you to use yourself. Its only a decibel counter which is like a large microphone.

I used to live in a council estate for a number of years so Im used to problems like this, i.e antisocial behaviour (before the PC police start).

Dont try to fight fire with fire. Many years ago I had the same issue and I did that. They played music all night and slept all day so I played loud music through the wall from 7am when I left for work and rang their buzzer until they answered it. Does not really make a difference. The people who are doing it are simply educationally lacking of discipline or respect for anybody else so dont bother going to their level.

Again, apply to the Sheriff in your local court for details of ASBO.

No one has yet been charged with an ASBO in this country, maybe its because they are a relatively new concept in this country.

See a recent article from the Irish Examiner [broken link removed]

Of course nobody has been charged with it with cynics in this country. Nobody was ever charged with not wearing a seat belt until the law came in.

This "Should" be the same. The only person who can apply for an ASBO is a Superintendant or a Court Sheriff.

My neigbhour from 3 years ago refused to muzzle his dangerous dogs so after speaking to my local council he now has NO dogs!

You pay Tax for the privelidge of services. Make them work for you!
Applying to the County Sheriff is straight forward. Walk in and apply.

Being the first should mean the book would be thrown at them.(in an ideal world)

Well then the OP should make a complaint to his/her local council who will be in a position to issue warnings to his/her harrassing neighbours and if they refuse to comply, then they can be hit with one of these Anti Social Behaviour Orders, though how many warnings they will receive is any one's guess. In the meantime the poor OP has to suffer through no fault of his/her own.

Last edited:
Back