Neighbour's dog pooing on my doorstep

dotcom

For some time now a neighbour's dog has been pooing on my doorstep. It doesn't happen every day so I'm sometimes taken by surprise when it does happen. I'm not 100& sure which neighbour's dog is at fault though I have a fair idea.

I came home from work today loaded down with shopping bags and stepped right into it on the doormat and then unknown to myself managed to walk it into the hallway.

We have tried cleaning the area outside the door thoroughly with Jeyes Fluid and other strong smelling cleaning products. That didn't work. We also bought a special spray to deter the dog from using our doorstep as a loo. That didn't work. We have even tried one of those ultrasonic devices and that didn't work either. At my wits end now. Has anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks for reading.

Shotgun.

Or a strongly worded conversation to your neighbours about his/her legal responsibilities of owning a dog.

It would be best if you first identify the dog that is causing the problem. Once you do that - then contact the dog owner - ask them to come over and clean it up.

If it keeps happening - then just drop it back on their door step.

The owner might not actually be aware that the dog is pooping on your doorstep - so I would not go over all guns blazing.

A skull and crossbones sign with "POISON" in nice big clear print underneath. The dog may not be able to read but the owner probably can.

I once had this with a neighbour's dog on my lawn, deliberately . Phoned the owner, expressing great concern as strong weedkiller could affect the wee dog. It never happened again.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will try them all! I especially like TreeTiger and Marigold 77's ideas.

I haven't actually witnessed the dog doing it but the landscapers working in my garden a few weeks ago caught the dog in the act so I'm pretty sure I know who is to blame!

Thanks again

Is your garden open plan ? Is there any way you can stop the dog getting to your porch ?

My back garden is completely enclosed thankfully but this is happening outside my front door and that area is completely open. The doorway is in a sort of stone porch and then there's just the driveway and the road of the cul-de-sac front of that.

HAd similar problem few years back. Dog always doing his business in our garden. Got so sick of it I collected a few days worth of doggy crap, took a few photos of the said dog doing his business and promptly returned the doggy crap to its owner in a plastic bag. To be fair the neighbour wasn't aware what the dog was up to ( i did notice that there garden didn't have any hallmarks of doggy crap anywhere) and it all ended soon after that.

I threw potatoes at our neighbours dog in our garden, come summer I had a good crop of new potatoes all over the place

similar issue...

I have a similar issue with a neighbours dog. Its doesnt help it is owned by slightly bonkers in-laws.

Talking to them would be pointless.....

The front gate is closed most of the time, but the dog does his business right outside the gate. I have caught him a couple of times but that hasnt stopped him.

Thinking of rigging up an electric fence near his favoured spot to see if that deters him

I had the same problem, but never saw a dog in action. As it happened overnight, I concluded that it was a fox. So check out that option before accusing a neighbour.

I bought[broken link removed]which is aimed at dogs and cats, but has worked very well for the fox. It's in most hardware stores, or they will get it for you if they don't stock it.

I also got a litter-picker which makes the disposal of dirt much easier.

Apparently a dog gets used to a particular area as a loo and their own smell reassures them. The scent off introduces a chemical lemon smell which confuses and deters them. It's worth a try.

Dogs tend to sniff around before they relieve themselves. If you sprinkle some paprika or ground pepper in the area, it'll get up their nose, and will deter them. It washes away with rain, and the deterent might not be immediate, so you may have to reapply. (We bought a big container in the cash & carry, but depending on the size of the area, a regular sized packet should be fine.)

However, it completely stopped cats coming into our garden, and even though we stopped putting it down a few years ago, we still don't have them coming in.

Thanks for all the replies. I used some of that special deterrent spray again and it seems to have worked on the area that the dog was originally fouling i.e. the doormat but now the dog has moved onto doing his/her business on the stones that line the driveway :mad:

dotcom maybe the dog is trying to tell you that he likes your house best and he might be in need of a new owner!! Forget the poo and just think of the unconditional love that doggy will give you. Just give him a little attention and a nice bowl of food and you have a friend for life.

a size 11 boot up the end where his business is coming from might give him a hint about not coming back.
I cant understand dog owners who let this happen. The law is simple, if the dog is outside your property it should be on a lead and you should clean up after it. If they cant do this, then maybe a goldfish is a better pet for them!

Just mention it to your neighbour. A bucket of cold water thrown over the dog or a powerful jet of water at the dog will give him the message.

Back