Neighbour's cat thinks it lives with me

amtc

I live in a small development where we have patio doors at the back leading to a communal garden.

My neighbours recently got a small kitten and leave their door open for the kitten to wander freely about.

If I have my door open the kitten races in, runs upstairs and hides under/in my bed. (Created absolutely panic one night as I awoke to find her in my bed; having got in earlier without me noticing).

Even if everyone else leaves their doors open she comes into my house (I think because it's the only one that's the same layout as her owners).

I haven't been encouraging her at all, and I don't want to be cruel obviously to her

I've mentioned it to my neighbours who whilst apologetic simply offered to come and remove the cat anytime this happens. I don't really want to have to be encouraging the neighbours into my room every night!

I've been sensible with closing doors etc but the cat now seems to think it's a game, and its latest trick is hiding behind a potted plant and making a run for it if I even put my hand on the handle. I am sick of playing 'who can get out the door fastest' when I go to put bins in the communal shed.

However on days like today I would like to be abe to leave my door open.

Any humane suggestions?

And do the owners of the kitten have more responsibility to keep it under control?

She's a nice kitten but if I wanted one I'll get my own.

With the smell of the cat around you don't have to worry about mice/rats. You have the benefit of a cat without the kitecat bills, but there may be something useful in this previous thread.

Use a water pistol or pepper. Eventually the cat will get tired of it. We've inadvertantly adopted a cat like this in the past. With out new neighbours we've made more of an effort to keep our distance from the cats. Pity because we like them. At least since they've stopped using our garden as a toliet.

water seems the best this is on the SPCA site
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How do I stop my neighbours’ cat coming into my house?
First, try closing your windows for a few days – if he comes in at night – close them at night – if in the day – close them then. He’ll soon realise that there is no way in and stop trying. Otherwise, if you see him when he comes in, try a simple plant sprayer or just splash water from a cup at him – cats do not like water and understand human actions very well – he’ll soon get the idea you don’t like him and stop coming. Also, make sure there is no food lying around that is tempting him, or anyone else in your house who is encouraging him in and stroking him.
And, of course, talking with your neighbour about it helps too!
[/FONT]

Water pistol (not high powered like hubbie wanted to get!!) did the trick for us. It got to the point where the cats would run when they saw the pistol.

I've been sensible with closing doors etc but the cat now seems to think it's a game

Your post really made smile (sorry - I know it wasnt meant to be humorous). You've summed it up here, "your" kitten does think this is a wonderful game. A cat will often make a home where it feels safe, under and in your bed clearly being two locations where she feels safe.

I agree with previous posters regarding the water, you dont need to pay for any expensive water gadget, a little water pistol (like a young child would have) or we have a spray bottle (that was originally used with ironing). All you need to do is spray her rump/back (no need to aim for face!)

Alongside this though, and more importantly to ensure its effective, you need to go back to the owners. They got a kitten because they want a kitten, offering to come over and pick her up is not enough, they need to start creating an environment where the cat feels "safe".

They should encourage the cat to "scent" cushions/rugs (rub them up to her gently).

They should feed her and associate a noise to the feeding (like shaking a tin if its dried food). They should try and find a favourite food/treat and do this.

They should close their doors and keep her in for a while so she starts associating their place as home.

Finally how old is the kitten? Sometimes kittens are given away a little bit too early which acerbates these kind of problems. If the kitten is very young the owners should try and place an alarm clock (that ticks) under a blanket near where she sleeps which is meant to replicate the mother's heart beat and encourages the "Im safe" feeling. Needless to say please make sure the alarm clock is not set! :)

Good luck.
cas.

Last edited:
Right I have bought the water pistol so we'll see how it goes. Must say I felt very cruel squirting the poor cat this evening and watching it miaow its way home (mind you like a bullet!)

I believe vinegar is also a good deterrant - cats can't stand the smell of it, if you don't mind living in a chip shop :)

Back