Neighbor V's My Laburnum Tree

When you get to my age you will realise that life's too short for this type of crap.

Could you live with your conscience if something happened to any child in the area, not necessarily your neighbours or yours.

OK its a pain in the ... that he phoned the Management Company but at the end of the day its a tree that can be changed.

I'm with BlueSpud and SueEllen. Don't sweat the small stuff. Its tree, you've just bought. Neighbours a twit for not just asking you directly, but is it worth the grief? Compromise on this, but not the lurid puke green you paint your house in. Fight the power.

[broken link removed]

I Agree again with the above posts. It may well be a small relative of your own who comes to visit one day and ingests the seeds. I have a small child who at the moment puts everything in her mouth. She even chews baby wipes not to mind grass and leaves if she can reach it.

Check your deeds of purchase. There may be a clause in there about what you can do with your garden. Our deeds specify things like no hanging basket brackets on the external walls, all front doors to be maintained the same colour as at purchase.

This could be why the Management company is involved. If the garden is not walled off then the garden is considered communal and you have no right to plant anything on it.

my 2c worth. had you not have indicated the potential hazards of consuming the seeds, would you have this problem at all... possibly not? Me personally would have accomodated the neighbour if they asked or spoke to me about it directly, but going direct to the mgt co without discussion was a bad move for them. It says to me that they don't seem to neighbourly after all....! Who knows what they'll report to big brother next!! good luck.... :)

he should have asked or talked to you 1st instead of going behind your back to force you to do something. I sure would be pissed and tell him that, it not the way things should be handled but what ever happened to being friends and nieghbours on a true level?

"The neighbors have cited that they have two children to protect".
God it drives me insane people who hide behind their precious children. They're probably dumped in a creche for 12 hours a day or dragged around a shopping centre at the weekend as a form of 'leisure'...
Don't be bullied by these cranks. This is the thin end of the wedge. Stand your ground, enjoy your laburnum (my mother has a magnificent specimen!) and with any luck these people will sell up and move to the deepest recesses of the countryside.

I disagree with you on this. I think those people are right to try to protect the children and the neighbours should help them to do so and hopefully form a caring society in their neighbourhood. As few as 15 seeds of this tree can be fatal to a child. I would say move the tree to the back garden or better still get a nice native species to plant instead.

UPDATE!!!

After discussion with my partner and other family members we have decided to
remove the tree.We are going to bring it back to the garden centre and plant a
eucalyptus (the round leaves not the long ones) instead, it's a nice evergreen
and insects hate them, plus they smell nice.

Having said that I don't think I'll entertain any complaints from the neighbor in
future. I'm still really angry that they didn't simply ask me.

If more people were to follow your lead, this would be a more pleasant place to live in. Well done mate.

UPDATE!!!

After discussion with my partner and other family members we have decided to
remove the tree.We are going to bring it back to the garden centre and plant a
eucalyptus (the round leaves not the long ones) instead, it's a nice evergreen
and insects hate them, plus they smell nice.

Having said that I don't think I'll entertain any complaints from the neighbor in

Better tell your neighbours to keep their cars and children away from your Eucalyptus as it grows so.
Because some varieties of the tree have the unpleasant habit of dropping whole branches as they mature.

Also be aware that a lot of Eucalyptus varieties leaves will change from round to lanceolate (long) as they mature.
However you can keep it cut back to retain juvenile foliage.
Good luck with your new tree.

Once again I say check your deeds of purchase before you plant anything. If the garden is not walled off (and you're in a managed development) the chances are that the garden is communal and you have no right to plant anything in it. The fact that the management company cut your grass would make me think this is a possibility

You should tell your neighbour that.

Good idea. You have already shown good faith, now you will get a better chance to see what the other guy is made of. If he still behaves like a twonk, you could always move the tree back, & plant a second one!

A thought just occurs to me about this. As the neighbours see the management company guy cutting the grass, weeding the lawn and were away when you planted the tree are you sure that they know that its your property and that you planted it. They may well have taken it for granted that the management company were responsible hence the e-mail directly to them.

Back