Negative equity, broken relationship and whether to go for insolvency

Tootsie690

Hello,

Please can anyone help with advice. I have a relation who spilt with a partner 2/3 years after they purchased house together. Since that spilt 3 years ago my relation has paid the majority of the mortgage on the property as they were living there and the ex was not. The ex has paid ad hoc in the last year but certainly not anywhere near half of the mortgage. Now the ex wants to let the property in order to pay some of the mortgage and for them both to pick up deficit. Selling is a problem as there is 120,000€ negative equity on the house.my relation is on a low income of 19000€ and is not able to take the deficit of the mortgage, insurance and maintenance costs on the owned property as well as find an affordable option for them to live so this is really not a viable option.
To let the property ties my relation into the ex partner for more years and this partner keeps issuing court dates etc which is causing huge emotional and health pressures as well as potential costs so we think that it would be better to sell....if possible and the bank agrees or not agree and for my relation to go bankrupt as they will have in excess of 60000€ of debt before starting again. We cannot afford a solicitor so wondered if anyone can help with information. We were at court recently and the judge supported our motion to sell but we really have no idea of what comes next. The ex partner has done very well and is definitely on double my relations salary if not more. They also took the 10,000€ car that my relation had paid for and that surely should be taken into consideration? Any information or help would be hugely appreciated!
Many thanks

Back