Health Insurance Need to downgrade from Control 300 Create

savemejebus

Hi all,

I'm a 41 year old male in, I guess, ok health. For the last couple of years I've been on Control 300 Create as I am generally very cautious and wanted to cover all bases and get gp costs back.

This year I am not in a financial position to resub to control 300 create and was wondering if anyone could give general advice or suggestions on a good budget option to cover the hospital bases in case of anything cropping up.

I am of course looking and comparing on HIA but would appreciate any suggestions in case I miss something.

Cheers

Hi savemejebus,

The following plans are worth considering;

1. VHI One Plan 500; price 715pa; all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital excess 500 x 2 max per year for all private hospital
admissions, day case excess 150 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.

2. VHI One Plan 250; price 832pa; all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital excess 250 x 2 max per year for all private hospital
admissions, day case excess 150 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.

3. Laya Essential Health 300; price 895pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, cardiac and orthopaedic surgery covered in Mater
Private and Blackrock Clinic. Private hospital excess 300 x 2 max per year for all private hospital admissions, day case excess 125 per
procedure.

4. Irish Life Benefit Plan; price 899pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered; private excess 200 x 2 max per year for all private
hospital admissions, day case excess 125 per procedure. There was a recent promotion with this plan where they give free travel insurance,
worth enquiring about.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks Snowy. I appreciate that info. Are there any pitfalls i should know about in case i fell ill after downgrading from a higher premium product?

The only pitfall to watch out for,(more for way in the future) is if you choose any plan besides the Laya option - there is a shortfall to pay for
a hip or knee replacement in a private hospital. In your early forties, you should be safe enough for a good few years unless you had any
weaknesses in that area. Laya plans fully cover this type of surgery, no excess or shortfall to pay.
All other illnesses are fully covered with the appropriate excess. The only difference in downgrading, means dropping hi-tech hospital cover in
Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private. All other private hospitals are covered. Just make sure you're happy with the excess amount if you use
a private hospital for surgery.

Regards, Snowyb

Back