Need to change car - confused about July changes

N

newbie1

Hi,

Background: I currently drive an 07 Mazda 5, 1.8 petrol, bought new last year, it's a grand car, very pleased with it, but we are now expecting twins in June and also have a young toddler so we need something that can accommodate three car seats.

I won't even go into the whole, 'trying to find a decent car that fits 3 car seats' debate as it is a head-wrecker and I am yet to find the right car to change to, however at the moment the Ford Galaxy is on our list for consideration.

To my query: I have read various threads on the changes to VRT & motor tax coming in this July but I just can't get my head around it all (I blame the pregnancy hormones), so can someone please help me out. We are going to go for a diesel whatever we end up choosing, so would we be better off getting something like an 05/06 Galaxy or going for something else brand new? Obviously I want to get the best deal and don't want to buy something in May then find the same car would be cheaper to buy/tax if I'd waited til July??

Anyone advise on the best option? (suggestions on good low-emmisions vehicles that could accommodate the brood also welcome.)

Thanks all.

My understanding is VRT is going up on petrol models and going down on diesel models from July 1st.

Road Tax will also be cheaper on diesels from 1st July.

So if you want a petrol car buy soon if you want diesel wait till after 1st July.

If you buy a second hand Diesel Galaxy today you will be stuck with the higher road tax for the life of the car.

a second hand galaxy bought after july will have the old motor tax rates.
motor tax rates are changing only for new cars and second hand imports after july.

My understanding is VRT is going up on petrol models and going down on diesel models from July 1st.

Road Tax will also be cheaper on diesels from 1st July.

So if you want a petrol car buy soon if you want diesel wait till after 1st July.

All this applies to Brand New (and newly imported) cars only - if you buy an 05 or 06 Galaxy now or after July the road tax will be the same, as Dublini said above :eek:

1.8D Galaxy (165 Co2)
Current Annual Road Tax €530
New Annual Road Tax €430
Current VRT Rate 25%
New VRT Rate 24%
Price will fall slightly (-€500 approx)

2.0D Galaxy (196 Co2)
Current Annual Road Tax €590
New Annual Road Tax €1000
Current VRT Rate 30%
New VRT Rate 32%
Price will rise slightly (+€1200 approx)

Assuming manufacturers don't amend their pre-tax prices in July

Back