need tips for Rome.

L

ladyhawke

Hi everyone,

Long time viewer,first time poster,so hope some of you can help me...

I have organised a surprise trip to Rome in a couple of weeks for my other half . We are staying in the Radisson and as neither of us have been to Rome Im wondering if this hotel is in the middle of Rome or will we need to get taxis to see some of the sights. Also, I will need a very special/romantic restaurant for us to go to on the Saturday night.Can anyone suggest such a top class place in or around where the Radisson is situated. As we are only there for half day Fri and full day Sat, and I love shopping,can anyone suggest a decent shopping mall,for clothes like jeans,tops in Rome. Do the open top tourist buses cover all the sights and how much is it for the day and will I need to bring our winter coats? What temperature will it be in the middle of December in Rome?

Reading back over this, Id imagine that alot of folks might think Im lazy and I should go and find out this info myself but believe me,Im not great when it comes to the internet,and I have tried but I just cant get the answers ,so thats when I came onto AAM to seek help. Its hard keeping this from himself let alone getting the info I need to make sure we have an amazing weekend away.
Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me..

To be honest, it's not really central:

http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...ult&ct=directions-to&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQngIwAA

It's a 40 minute walk from Piazza Navona, which I would consider central Rome. It's pretty far east of most of the usual sights.

I quite like "Otello alla Concordia" near the Spanish Steps; a restaurant courtyard in an 18th century palazzo, reputedly Fellini's favourite:

Photo here:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1314205016015598264leQtsY

More info here:

http://www.otelloallaconcordia.it/

(Have a coffee at nearby Cafe Greco too, but stand at the bar like a real Italian _and_ save yourself a fortune compared to the sitdown price)

Enjoy your trip!

here
[broken link removed] (when i was here there was an Irish wedding in full swing)

or here
http://www.agataeromeo.it/ well recommended oops not open saturdays

near you in rome maybe not what you have in mind?

You could also go to the ryanair website and download their city guide for Rome, has maps and a pile of other information I use the maps allthe time cant remember the name of the company that produces the guide, any way enjoy your trip

Also on Tripadvisor you will get lots of good tips and you can post your specific questions on to the Rome Forum. Enjoy your trip.

the red bus goes from square outside termini station and covers all the sites. rome does not do shopping malls,so many resturants when you get there choose one you like

You don't have enough time in 1 and 1/2 days to see all the sights and do some shopping. Therefore you should focus on the main ones. I would have suggested the Vatican if you had more time but I won't now. As the metro in Rome is not very extensive, you will need to walk around a lot, but in your case you should try to squeeze in as much as possible. Here is my recommendation:

1. No trip to Rome is complete without seeing the Colosseum. The best way to get there from your Hotel is by walking to Termini staion. This is about 1km. Then take the Metro Line B, direction Laurentina, and get off at Colosseo which is only 2 stops. When you exit the Metro station, the Colosseum will be right there in front of you in all it's magnificence and it really is a fantastic sight. Don't bother going in, just wander around it.

2. Go back to the Metro and head back to Termini (direction Rebibbia). Then take the Metro Line A to Spagna (direction Battistini). This is where the Spanish Steps and the Piazza di Spagna are located. These are some of the most famous places in Rome and it's really nice wandering around there.

3. Now for the walking bit. Your next port of call should be the Trevi Fountain. Get a pocket map of Rome (hopefully one of you can navigate!). It should take about 15 minutes, and enjoy the beauty of Rome as you walk.

4. Next you can walk to the Pantheon, my favourite Roman building..built as a temple to all the gods of ancient Rome and still standing today unscathed after 2000 years. Have a beer or a glass of wine in the Piazza della Rotonda facing the exterior facade and just soak it all up.

5. You could then head to Piazza Navona which is only a short walk away and see the Fountain of the 4 Rivers. If you still have energy then head for the Campo Dei Fiori, another quaint Roman square with Restaurants and Cafes dotted around it.

The above is just a suggested itinerary. I can't suggest a posh Restaurant as I haven't had an occassion to use one yet! But there are lots of them around. Rome is great so enjoy it!

The jump on/off tour bus covers all the sights for a reasonable cost and has a commentary so you know where you want to get off. (and you see Rome as you're going round

Thanks for all the lovely responses.much apprecieated..

Is there really no shopping malls in rome? surely not....where would the locals buy their clothes???

no shopping malls that we came across, anyone else help ? Via del Corso & via del condotti and via nationale were all recommended to us.

There is a City Centre type shopping area near the Trevi Fountain also lots of designer shops near the Spanish steps. To my mind shopping in Rome is time wasted as there is so much to see there, but if you must :)

I agree with gebbel. You only have a day and a half in one of the most beautiful cities in the worls and you want to go shopping? It takes all sorts I suppose! I recommend the hopper bus, last time I was in Rome it was for four days and we only saw a lot of the sights from the bus! Its a great place, I'm going to go back in spring again.

Hi again....You finally got true to my thick head!!shopping is out and we will soak up the city... Thanks again for all your help ,id be lost without this info!!!!ciao

if you really need the shopping buzz, you will find a guys selling cheap fake designer handbags on the streets, especially opposite the vatican. make sure you bargain. bags that started at €40 can be bought for €5 or €10. enjoy rome, it is a beautiful city.

Back