Need the help of a computer technician

olivia

I bought a new laptop and need help transferring my Outlook etc from my old laptop. Can anyone recommend someone in Galway?:confused:

Can't recommend anyone - but with a little time spent researching the topic, you will find plenty of info out there on how to do this.

Don't limit yourself to Galway, people travel - you can also do all this remotely.
It might be useful if you also had a USB stick or external hard drive.
I prefer this option rather than linking machine to machine directly.

I don't use Outlook, but I expect there is an export and import function - you can back up to the external drive and !restore" from there to the new laptop.
Otherwise, you can install the programme on the new hardware and copy the relevant files to their new positions.
A restart of the application and/or operating system will allow it to rebuild the indexing et voilá!

There are probably a shedload of forums dealing with this and I recommend you read these.
You should do this before you allow someone claiming to be able to do this near your machine.

You will also want to copy the outlook.n2k file to your new pc. You need to show all unhidden files to find it. Its location varies depending on your operating system.
This keeps the record of previously used email addresses so that when you type the first letter of an address it promts a list of addresses. Nothing worse than losing this list if you have a lot of addresses.

Check if you have easy windows transfer option in the Control Panel of your old PC. Use this with an external hard drive or and you can do it no problem. I did this recently, and I'm a dunce when it comes to technical stuff.

look up microsoft web site on archiving. i find archining by year is best. copy archive onto a memory stick and transferr same onto new laptop. it will have a .pst file extension. open outlook , go to 'file' 'account settings' data file' click ADD and brouse for the saved . pst file.

Back