Need retirement planning advice - adviser recommendations

JimmyB99

Anybody know someone who is proficient in advising clients considering retiring abroad?

Hi JimmyB,

This may be a bit controversial but I can't help but think that the majority of financial advisers have a bias to product advice/sales rather than financial planning advice. This is totally understandable as it's the way their business model really works - whether this is accepted or not! Of course, they will do financial planning advice as it's an excellent way of cementing relationships and, when the time is right, to provide product advice!

Anyway, retiring abroad is something I'm considering also. In my experience, the typical financial advisor hasn't much capacity to provide reasonably sophisticated financial planning for those intending on retiring abroad.

FWIW, whenever I get around to to looking into this again, my plan is to talk with a tax consultant who is familiar with this area. I understand that I well need a financial adviser for implementation of whatever strategy is devised.

In what areas ?

Eg

Pension ?
Other assets /investments ?
Any existing companies/self employment ?
Taxes ?
Purchasing property abroad ?
Tax residency queries ?

Hope you're off to someone Sunny :) it will be lovely

Anybody know someone who is proficient in advising clients considering retiring abroad?

I would have thought that an accountant with experience in retirees emigrating would be what you'd need. But your post doesn't give much in the way of detail so maybe I'm missing the point.

You'd probably get more responses if you specified what part of the world you're considering. I doubt if any professional has expertise in all jurisdictions.

Thanks for all the responses.

I would have thought that an accountant with experience in retirees emigrating would be what you'd need.

Fair enough - I'm don't mind who I talk to. Any recommendations?

But your post doesn't give much in the way of detail so maybe I'm missing the point. You'd probably get more responses if you specified what part of the world you're considering. I doubt if any professional has expertise in all jurisdictions.

More fairs enough but, in my defence, I asked what I felt was a pretty basic and specific question (in this context) the day earlier and got no meaningful response. So, in this question, I flipped from the specific to the general! Anyway, we're planning on moving to France and the specific areas that I'd like guidance on are fairly basic taxation queries.

Back