need help with contents of a contract please

ava1

hi there..i want to put together a contract for builders for an extension and was wondering if you could assist with the contenets of such..

Is it the norm so to have a solicitor draw up a contract for an extension? I was just going to do up one myself?

Is it the norm so to have a solicitor draw up a contract for an extension? I was just going to do up one myself?
Why not do the extension yourself and save the hassle of a employing a builder and having a contract? :rolleyes:

Actually I'd say it is not the norm. I have rarely been asked to draft a contract for a client doing an extension. That is not to say that it is not a good idea though. Especially in a climate where builders are going out of business.

thank you Vanilla..i will research more into it...i apologise mathepac for being so green and not as learned as you in such matters..its is a long life however and hopefully i will be as clever as you some day in every profession

The RIAI (Architect's Institute) publish contracts for small works - they used to have one entitled SF88 (Shortform 88), but not sure if this is the most recent one. It's a simple contarct that covers all the main issues - unless you have specific expertise, I wouldn't advise drafting one from scratch.

sample contracts are downloadable - google it
RIAI or CIF or similar
might be enough to have a scope of works with a fixed price on a single page and signed by both parties depends on scale of project
there is no reason you cannot draw up own contract as long as it doesnt breach law of the land, whether the other party signs it is another thing.
basic clauses re start, finish, costs and payments, quality, health and safety, variations (changes), etc etc are needed
always better to have something on paper pref with a signature!
remember contract works both ways can be used against client too
in reality for small building jobs breach of contract that is pursued by one of the parties will end up in small claims court and is worthwhile having some evidence of an agreement

Back